Tools or humans may set up and use this operator after installing Istio to do things like:
- orchestrate canary releases for new versions of software or more generally manage traffic shifting over time for applications
- define which services are allowed to send traffic to another service (and even a route on a service) or more generally define access control policies for applications
SMI defines a set of CRDs that allow for a common set of interfaces to build on top of when building tooling or working with service mesh implementations like Istio. This project builds logic around those commonly defined CRDs to work specifically with Istio.
Please refer to CONTRIBUTING.md for more information on contributing to the specification.
How to build
- Install the Operator SDK CLI
- Choose the container image name for the operator and build:
export OPERATOR_IMAGE=docker.io/<your username>/smi-adapter-istio:latest make
- Push on your container registry:
How to install
After installing Istio you can deploy the adapter in the
istio-system namespace with:
kubectl apply -R -f deploy/