Essex Deploy Day Homework
Clone this wiki locally
This is a supplement for the OpenStack Essex Deploy Day page.
Note: if you have suggestions or corrections, please update this page!
Newbies should have some familiarity with OpenStack - you don't need to be an OpenStack user or developer, but should be familiar with cloud computing and OpenStack concepts and terminology to get the most out of this event. We will review things, but it will not be a deep dive into OpenStack - we will focus on deploying OpenStack.
By expert, we mean people ready to provide testing, feedback, and help with specific barclamps. Experts should already have deployed OpenStack in some form or another. It's better if they have used Crowbar, and are familiar with DevOps and Chef. It's ideal if they already have a Crowbar development environment set up.
Before the event, make sure you have:
- Skype or an irc client installed for the online collaboration (contact DellCrowbar with "essex barclamp" to join the online chat group)
- A Github login to log issues and access code (not required for Newbies)
- Batteries charged, and a power adapter ready - installs will burn some processor cycles!
Homework for Newbies
- Follow the instructions to OpenStack Essex VMware Install
- Watch the OpenStack overview
- If you want to attempt an install, download the OpenStack Essex ISO from http://cr0wbar.com
- Take a look at the OpenStack Reference Architecture and get a feel for what is involved in production deployments of OpenStack.
Homework for running Crowbar on Deploy Day
If you want to install Crowbar and deploy Openstack on your own system during the hack sessions, it is possible to set up Crowbar and an OpenStack deployment using multiple virtual machines.
To do this, you will need a system or laptop with:
- A multicore processor with hardware virtualization (Core 2 Duo, Core i5, Corei7, etc)
- 8Gb RAM (will run crowbar, compute controller, and compute node),
- 16Gb RAM recommended - this will allow you to deploy multiple compute nodes.
- Between 50 and 100Gb disk space available
- A fast disk, SSD will help with performance.
- VMWare workstation or virtualbox installed and working
Crowbar provides all the necessary pieces to deploy openstack without any downloads, and we will have iso's ready to go on the day of the event.
Homework for Experts
Experts who intent to hack on crowbar should set up a crowbar build environment before deploy day, since it takes takes time do download everything, and do the initial build.
Start with the Crowbar wiki https://github.com/dellcloudedge/crowbar/wiki
Setup a Crowbar environment
Install OpenStack using the ISO that you built!
Learn how to change and commit Crowbar code