Water Drop (Pro)
A DELOARTS Research project.
Current version 1.3.5
Water Drop (Pro), is a host-based microcontroller project, which allows you to capture a water drop with a DSLR camera. The water drop is created with an electro-magnetic valve. You can use 3 valves max.
On this repository you will not only find the source code for the microcontroller, but also the software for the host.
On my blog and website you will find a complete description, to get there, please click the link:
- Blog, main project: https://deloarts.wordpress.com/2016/03/21/water-drop-pro/
- Blog, sensor add-on: https://deloarts.wordpress.com/2016/05/28/water-drop-pro-sensor-add-on/
- Website, main project, german: http://deloarts.com/de/projects/water-drop-pro/
- Website, sensor add-on, german: http://deloarts.com/de/projects/water-drop-pro-sensor/
- Website, main project, english: http://deloarts.com/en/projects/water-drop-pro/
- Website, sensor add-on, english: http://deloarts.com/en/projects/water-drop-pro-sensor/
If you want to direct download the whole bundle please click this link: http://www.deloarts.com/projects/water_drop_pro/wdp.zip
The bundle contains the following items:
- Microcontroller source code (with Arduino IDE 1.6.6)
- PC host source code
- Electrical engineering
- Breadboard circuit
- PCB circuic
- Part list
- Mechanical engineering
- Design drawings
- Assembly plan
- Part list
- Step-by-step description for the whole thing
The necessary microcontroller I used is the ATmega328 on an Arduino Nano V3.0 board. Therefore I used the Arduino IDE to compile and flash the controller. You can also use an Ardunio Uno Rev3 board, but I do not recommend it, because you won't be able to use my PCB board. If you're going to use the Arduino Uno you don't have to make any changes in the source code, just make sure you have selected the correct board in the Ardunio IDE. You also don't have to change the pin occupancy, when the UNO is replaced with the Nano, and vice versa.
The source code is written with the Arduino IDE 1.6.6 on Sublime Text 3 (with stino). Another IDE version may not work.
The Water Drop (Pro) host software only runs on Microsoft Windows OS (any CPU, .NET Framework 4.5)
- Microsoft Windows XP
- Microsoft Windows Vista
- Microsoft Windows 7
- Microsoft Windows 8
- Microsoft Windows 8.1
- Microsoft Windows 10
The source code is written in C# and was compiled with Microsoft Visual Studio 2012.
The host software is capable of the following functions:
- Connecting the microcontroller with the PC (via USB)
- Sending necessary data to the controller
- Receiving necessary data from the controller
- Saving valve data to the hard drive
- Controlling a DSLR (via USB, Canon only [currently])
- Shutter speed
A multi-platform host software will come later. This new software will be written in Python or Java and will have the project name DropShot.
I am not responsible for anything in conjunction with this project, including bugs, failure, fire, harm of equipment and harm of persons. Reasonably foreseeable misapplication:
- Bug in the code
- Failure of used parts due to a bug in the code or a wrong wiring diagram, including a wrong design.
- Fire due to a wrong wiring diagram, including a wrong design.
- Harm of equipment, meaning third party parts (cameras, flashes, etc.) due to a bug in the code or a wrong wiring diagram, including a wrong design.
- Harm of persons due to any failure of the system, a wrong wiring diagram or a wrong behaviour.
It is your own responsibility to use these contents.
Be careful, this project includes lethal electrical voltage. Put yourself in knowledge about the risks before you start with this project.
This library is licensed under the GNU GPLv3 (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html) open source license. Thus anybody is allowed to copy and modify the source code, provided all changes are open source too and the author is in knowledge of all changes. This can happen either via eMail or directly on GitHub, in other words, on this repository.
Questions on changes older than version 1.3.2 won't be answered.
- 1.3.5 Updated Arduino files to new oled-library.
- 1.3.4 Bugfix on 'Save-As' in Windows application.
- 1.3.3 Faster output on valves.
- 1.3.2 Sensor is now available in Windows application.