World Borders Quiz
This game strengthens the player's geography through randomly generated multiple-choice questions.
For example -
Which of these does not border Belize?
- A. Mexico
- B. Guatemala
- C. Honduras
(The answer is Honduras.)
Try it here!
You can create custom quizzes by playing with the URL. Examples -
- Countries that end with "stan"
- Country quiz excluding bodies of water
- Country quiz with two answer choices
- Countries in Africa starting with map
- U.S. states without starting map
- U.S. states that don't contain the letters 'a' or 'e'
- Canada and neighboring U.S. states starting with map
- New York City boroughs starting with map
- San Francisco Bay Area counties starting with map
- Southern California counties
- India's Punjab and Pakistan's Punjab
- Random quiz mode
- Mega-quiz covering everything
git clone https://github.com/denialromeo/borders-quiz cd borders-quiz npm install npm start
Now you can play the game at http://localhost:8000!
However, you must observe these rules or the game will break -
- The top-level labels of borders.json and quiz-modes.json must match.
- All entries in borders.json must be unique. Add trailing underscores to avoid conflicts with entries in existing quiz modes.
- If a territory is on an island and borders every other territory on that island (e.g. Haiti and the Dominican Republic), you must manually provide alternative answer choices in question-settings.json.
npm run validate-data will alert you to game-breaking data.)
You can find official U.S. Census Bureau KML data here.
Territory names in more recent quiz modes aren't properly abbreviated on mobile.
There's sometimes a distracting black flash when the maps load on Firefox. This has me stumped.
The idea for this project was taken from this beautiful diagram in Algorithms by Dasgupta, Papadimitriou, and Vazirani.