A repo for us to share good learning resources, tutorials, cheat-sheets etc. as well as resources that can make people's lives easier. Please link to actual and specific resources rather than API references, websites, collections etc. Please also indicate in the title what kind of resource it is (e.g. book, tutorial, video etc.)
General Resources & News Sites
- Data Science @ Reddit Subreddit and a good place to ask more general data science questions.
- Data Science @ Medium Blog and article site with a Data Science sub-section.
- Towards Data Science Medium based news and articles site.
- Kaggle Branded as the home of Data Science and the place to do data science projects. Has some good data and competitions also.
- KDNuggets General data science news site.
- Data Elixir General data science news site.
- The Machine Learning Engineer Newsletter Weekly newsletter focusing on Ethical AI & ML and Machine Learning Operations.
General Data Science
- How to Start in Data Science (Article) Article on how to get started in Data Science.
- Deep Learning Cheat Sheet (Article) Deep Learning cheat sheet containing high-level descriptions of the various functions.
- How to become a Data Scientist in 6 months (Video) Video detailing some excellent high level advice on becoming a data scientist.
- Datacamp Cheat Sheets (Article) A collection of Python, R, Jupyter Cheat Sheets from DataCamp.
- Seven Practical Ideas for Beginner Data Scientists (Article)
- Distributions CheatSheet (Article) Good overview of various distributions.
- Distributions (Articles) Detailed overview of various data distributions.
General Data Engineering
- Beginners Guide to Data Engineering Part 1
- Beginners Guide to Data Engineering Part 2
- Beginners Guide to Data Engineering Part 3
- Machine Learning Rules (Article) Google's guide to best practices in Machine Learning.
- Machine Learning Yearning (eBook) Book by Andrew Ng on technical strategy for ML + AI.
- ML for Coders Good looking course on learning ML from the perspective of a coder.
- Conputational Linear Algebra for Coders Another fast.ai course on applied Linear Algebra.
- Practical Deep Learning for Coders 7 week fast.ai course on Deep Learning for coders.
- Mathmatics for Machine Learning Book (in progress) about learning the maths behind ML
- Data Science Primer (Tutorial) Overview of the steps in building a Machine Learning model.
- Getting Better at Machine Learning (Article)
- Time Series Forcasting with Naive Bayes (Article + Notebook) Good step by step guide to time series forecasting with Naive Bayes and a great example notebook.
- Text Classification (Article) Google's guide to text classification.
- What is Feature Engineering? (Article)
- What is One Hot Encoding? (Article)
- Introduction to K-Nearest Neighbours (Article) Good intro to Knn
- Practical Guide to SVM Classification (Paper)
- Understanding the SVM Kernel Trick (Article)
- Visualising Multivariate Data (Article)
- WTF is the bias/variance tradeoff? (Article)
- Heteroscedasticity Explained (Article)
- Mapshaper (Tool) Online editor for map data. Allows you to take most GIS data formats and visualise / simplify them.
- Complete Python Bootcamp (Udemy Course) Really good introduction to Python using Jupyter Notebooks.
- Python for Data Analysis & Visualisation (Udemy Course) Excellent intro to the data analyis libraries in Python.
- Python for Data Science & Machine Learning (Udemy Course) Very good introduction to Python for Data Science.
- Hitchhiker's Guide to Python (Online Book) A daily usage "best practice handbook" for Python. The section on code structure and style is particularly good.
- Python for Analysts (Github Repo) Tom's Python for analysts training course. This probably needs updating.
- Exploratory Data Analysis in Python (EBook) Excellent book on statistical data analysis in Python.
- Python Graph Gallery (Website) Gallery of lots of Python charts complete with source code.
- Miguel Grinberg's Flask Blog (Website) Lots of tutorials on various Flask features.
- Python Data Science Handbook (ebook) O'Reilly book on Data Science with Python, covering Numpy, Pandas, Matplotlib and SKL.
- Flask for Web Development (Book) Book detailing end to end web development with Flask.
- Datashader with Spark (Article) Blog detailing an example of how to use Datashader with big data.
- JupyterLab Extensions (Documentation) How to install JupyterLab extensions.
- Jupyter Shortcuts (Article) List of shortcuts for Jupyter notebooks.
- 28 Jupyter Tips Some cool tricks in Jupyter notebooks.
- Using Jupyter in a Virtual Environment (Article) Guide on setting up a venv kernel for Jupyter Notebooks
- Auto Generating Requirements.txt (Article) How to auto-generate requirements.txt using pip freeze
- A Template for a good README (MD Template) Good template to follow when creating a README.md.
- How to make a Python Package Great guide on how to make a Python package.
- R for Data Science A good starting point for learning modern R with the Tidyverse style code.
- Advanced R Useful when you want to understand the underlying processes of R and write more advanced code (for example, object orientated programming in R)
- R packages A good reference book when structuring your code as a package (what files go where + how to handle package imports etc)
- R Graph Gallery (Website) Gallery of lots of R charts complete with source code.
- Introduction to R in 3 hours (HMRC) This course covers basic R, data manipulation and plotting in Tidyverse. Course is taught in HMRC and adapted from BEIS and Ofsted material.
- Scala Docs (Tutorial) Getting started guide.
- Scala Exercises (Tutorial) Beginner level tutorial.
- Just Enough Scala for Spark Introduction to Scala for interfacing with Spark DataFrame and RDD APIs.
- Complete SQL Bootcamp (Udemy Course) Intro to SQL and PostgreSQL.
- MS VM Images (Tool) Images of windows machines to allow testing on IE. Note you'll need to install Virtualbox first via
brew cask install virtualbox
- The Complete Web Developer Course (Udemy Course) Excellent intro to HTML/CSS/JS as well as packages such as Bootstrap & JQuery.
- HTML Elements Reference (Reference) Complete list of all HTML elements.
- List of Special Characters (Reference) Codes and decodes for special characters in HTML.
- Git a Web Developer Job (Udemy Course) Online course that makes the jump from writing HTML/CSS/JS to writing modern web applications using dev tools like git, webpack and babel.
- Guide to 'this' (Article) Great guide on how to use
- Setting up React, Webpack and Babel (Article) How to set up your development environment using React, Webpack and Babel.
- How to set up Webpack 4 (Article) How to set up Webpack 4.0.
- Switching from Gulp to Webpack (Article) Need to evaluate this...
- End to End Testing (Article) Need to evaluate this...
- D3 Is not a Data Visualisation Library (Article) Excellent intro to D3.
- How to React (Article)
- Intro to React (Article) Excellent intro to React incorporating props, state and JSX.
- Redux Tutorial (Article) Very good intro to Redux and React-redux.
- Github - Resources to learn Git List of good resources to learn git.
- Github learning lab Interactive tutorial that covers the basics of GitHub.
- Learn git branching The GitHub guide covers the basics more clearly, but the later chapters of this resource is good for learning how to get out of more complex git puzzles.
- Getting Git A comprehensive video course from git init to Git Master ($30)
- Lots of interactive courses on containerisation (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes) available at Katacoda
- Material Palette (Website) Generates nice colours for an app or design
- Cooloors (Website) Site that helps you generate good color palettes
- Viz Palette (Website) Site that helps you make nice colour palettes
- Unsplash (Website) Royalty free high-res photos
- TheStocks (Website) Royalty free photos
- ISORepublic (Website) Royalty free photos
- Pixabay (Website) Royalty free photos
- Subtle Patterns (Website) Tiled Patterns for sites & presentations
- Dribbble (Website) Nice site for inspiration on designs
- SiteInspire (Website) Showcase of good, responsive website design
- MediaQueries (Website) Showcase of good, responsive website design
Also see departmentfortransport/ds-data-sources.
- Random User Data Generates random user data through an API