Pelvic Rotation Calculator
This is a program to calculate true measurements and rotation amounts given measurements from x-ray film and the x-ray environment.
It has been developed for the non-profit Gonstead Clinical Studies Society.
The methodology is based on this article.
It is written in Java with JavaFX so that it can easily be run on any device with Java installed.
The Java Runtime Environment is required to run this application. Older versions may work, but it is recommended that you keep your Java version up to date.
To install Java or update to the latest version, download it here.
Click here to download the jar file.
To run, simply open the downloaded program file.
Making a Calculation
Make measurements in accordance to the instructions in the Usage Instructions PDF
Once you have your measurements, input them in the input section and select the units for the measurements. Then press the "Calculate" button.
Understanding the Results
The three tables show your input and your results. As you make more calculations, the tables will fill with your input and results.
Use the "Name" input field to help you differentiate between calculations.
To save your calculations, click the "File" tab on the menu bar to open a drop down menu and select "Save" (keyboard shortcut ctrl + s on windows, command + s on mac). If you are saving for the first time, a file selection window will open to select a destination to save your calculations. If you are saving and already saved calcuation, it will automatically save to the original file.
To save to a new location, select the "Save as..." option under the "File" tab on the menu bar (keyboard shortcut ctrl + shift + s on windows, command + shift + s on mac). This will always ask you to choose a location to save to.
Opening Saved Results
To re-open a data file with saved results, do the following:
- Open the Pelvic Rotation Calculator application
- Click on the drop down "File" menu on the menu bar and select "Open" (keyboard shortcut ctrl + o on windows, command + o on mac). This will open a file selection window.
- In the file selection window, open the folder where your results file was saved and select the saved data file.
- Click on the "open" button to view the results. This will populate the tables with your saved results.
There are 3 ways to delete a result. First, select the result you wish to delete by left-clicking on the row. This will highlight the row. Next, do one of the following:
- Right-click on the row and left-click "Delete Row..."
- Click on the "Edit" tab on the menu bar and select "Delete Selected Row" from the drop down menu
- Press the keyboard shortcut ctrl + backspace on windows or command + delete on mac
"PelvicRotationCalculator.jar" can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer."
Fix: Go to
System Preferences->Security & Privacy->General and click on
To contribute, please open a pull request. New code must have unit tests or the PR won't be accepted and merged.
- Tool tips to help with correlating input fields to real world measurements (currently found in instruction PDF)
- Properly sign JAR
- Setting of the application "dock name" on Mac OS (currently shows as