Meteor is an ultra-simple environment for building modern web applications.
With Meteor you write apps:
- that send data over the wire, rather than HTML
- using your choice of popular open-source libraries
Documentation is available at http://docs.meteor.com/
curl https://install.meteor.com | /bin/sh
Create a project:
meteor create try-meteor
cd try-meteor meteor
Deploy it to the world, for free:
meteor deploy try-meteor.meteor.com
Slow Start (for developers)
If you want to run on the bleeding edge, or help develop Meteor, you can run Meteor directly from a git checkout.
git clone git://github.com/meteor/meteor.git cd meteor
If you're the sort of person who likes to build everything from scratch, you can build all the Meteor dependencies (node.js, npm, mongodb, etc) with the provided script. This requires git, a C and C++ compiler, autotools, and scons. If you do not run this script, Meteor will automatically download pre-compiled binaries when you first run it.
# OPTIONAL ./scripts/generate-dev-bundle.sh
Now you can run meteor directly from the checkout (if you did not build the dependency bundle above, this will take a few moments to download a pre-build version).
From your checkout, you can read the docs locally. The
/docs directory is a
meteor application, so simply change into the
/docs directory and launch
cd docs/ ../meteor
You'll then be able to read the docs locally in your browser at
Note that if you run Meteor from a git checkout, you cannot pin apps to specific
Meteor releases or run using different Meteor releases using
Aside from a short launcher shell script, Meteor installs itself inside your home directory. To uninstall Meteor, run:
rm -rf ~/.meteor/ sudo rm /usr/local/bin/meteor
Building an application with Meteor?
- Announcement list: sign up at http://www.meteor.com/
- Ask a question: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/meteor
- Meteor help and discussion mailing list: https://groups.google.com/group/meteor-talk
Interested in contributing to Meteor?
- Core framework design mailing list: https://groups.google.com/group/meteor-core
- Contribution guidelines: https://github.com/meteor/meteor/tree/devel/Contributing.md