GitHub issue submission guidelines
A single-serving site that developers can point to when dealing with new users submitting issues to GitHub. Basically serving the same function as "STICKY: Please read forum rules" posts you'd see on forums.
Brevity — We want everyone to read this. So it needs to be quick and easy. The fewer words the better.
Friendly — People are looking for help. They don't want to deal with assholes. But laying down guidelines can still come across as uppity.
should closely follow Creating issues by @fat
- Hi. I'm human. You're human. Let's keep that in mind.
- use jsFiddle (or something similar)
- provide specific conditions
- Don't (just) paste code
- Search previous issues
Backstory & related
- @paulirish and me whine about it
- @fat awesome's article Creating issues
- Tips for Writing Better Bug Reports | Viget Extend
- Contribute to Normalize.css - Report Issues by @necolas
This page doesn't just have to be for GitHub Issues. For now, I think that's a good enough goal. We could generalize it enough that it could work for other places where people go to for service or support like Stack Overflow, IRC rooms, etc.