This project is deprecated for lack of interest.
TorrentTunes — A free, BitTorrent-based music streaming service.
TorrentTunes works on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux, and also has a web client at torrenttunes.tk.
- A complete music streaming application including Artist and album pages, playlists, and settings.
- Fully categorized songs based on IDv3 tags and song duration with MusicBrainz, with the Musicbrainz-tagger.
- A LibTorrent-based BitTorrent client.
- Song, album, and artist sharing via URLs: David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
- Playlist sharing via URLS: Sample playlist
- Java 8
- If behind a router, make sure bittorrent has enough open ports forwarded to your local IP address.
Download and double click the jar, located here
Torrenttunes will install, create system shortcuts for Windows, Mac, or Debian-based Linux distributions, and load up in a browser window.
Building from scratch
To build TorrentTunes, run the following commands:
git clone https://github.com/dessalines/torrenttunes-client cd torrenttunes-client chmod +x install.sh # This script does a maven install, and java -jar command ./install.sh
Command line client
To download and run TorrentTunes from the command line(the output is written to
The -nobrowser flag prevents TorrentTunes from loading up in a browser window.
wget https://github.com/dessalines/torrenttunes-client/releases/download/0.7.9/torrenttunes-client.jar nohup java -jar torrenttunes-client.jar -nobrowser &> log.out &
To scan your music directory:
curl localhost:4568/share_directory --data "/home/user-dir/Music/A Music Dir"
To stop the torrenttunes service:
curl -XPOST localhost:4568/power_off
Bugs and feature requests
Start with getting familiar with the schema first, then create some issues and we can start working on them.
Feature requests / todos