Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
How to use SMS Backup Reader
- Download the latest version of SMS Backup Reader: Download latest release
- This program requires Java to run. If you do not have Java installed, please visit the Java website to obtain it: http://www.java.com
- To run, simply double-click on SMS Backup Reader. If it opens as a folder and shows you multiple files inside, then either you do not have Java installed, or you need to go back, right-click on SMS Backup Reader, and open it with Java.
- Enter your country code. The default is 1 for the U.S. For example, the U.K. is 44.
- There is an option to change the timezone hours offset for the received messages. ONLY use this if you have previously encountered issues when loading messages!
- Once it is open, choose the file you want to load by clicking the appropriate button.
- Next, click Load!.
- To see different conversations, click on the contacts on the left side. The numbers are the PHONE NUMBERS of the contacts. If there are no names showing, it is because you did not backup the names using SMS Backup & Restore. SMS Backup Reader does not know the names unless they are in the file.
- To export a specific conversation, click on that contact, and click the Export button.
- To export all conversations, click on the Export All button.
- Close the program when you are finished.
Clone this wiki locally
Press h to open a hovercard with more details.