Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Avida is a free, open source software platform for conducting and analyzing experiments with self-replicating and evolving computer programs. It provides detailed control over experimental settings and protocols, a large array of measurement tools, and sophisticated methods to analyze and post-process experimental data.
The following articles provide a good introduction to Avida:
- Testing Darwian by Carl Zimmer (Cover story of Feb 2005 Discover Magazine).
- Twice as Natural by Richard Lenski (2001)
- Meet the Scientist podcast interview of Charles Ofria by Carl Zimmer (2010)
More detailed materials:
- About Digital Evolution
- Avida: A Software Platform for Research in Computational Evolutionary Biology by C. Ofria, D.M. Bryson, and C. Wilke (2009).
- The contents of this Wiki
If you would like to contribute to this documentation, please create an account via the log-in link at the top-right of the page.
- Beginner Documentation
- A Guided Tour of the Ancestor and its Hardware
- Text Viewer
- Configuration and Command Reference
- Experiment and Analysis Guides