- A simple, free CSV product importer for WooCommerce.
- Supports importing hundreds or thousands of products at once. (The only limit is your patience!)
- Imports images via URL or local file path. (Now detects and skips duplicate images!)
- Imports hierarchical category structures (see Importing Hierarchical Categories below.)
- Lots of other great features suggested by plugin users (see Cool Stuff It/You Can Do and Full List of Importable Attributes below.)
Once installed, go to Tools → Woo Product Importer in the Admin Panel to use. (For help installing the plugin, see Plugin Installation below.)
A sample CSV file is included to help you get started. (woo-importer-example.csv)
Cool Stuff It/You Can Do
- AJAXy Importing (avoids timing out on large data sets)
- Import Images via a URL (Requires allow_url_fopen or cURL on your server)
- Set Featured Image
- Import Categories and Tags (Categories and Tags are created if they don't exist)
- Import entire hierarchical (parent/child) Category structures
- Add Categories and Tags to Products by Category/Tag Name or ID
- Import Custom Fields
- Set Visibility on Custom Fields
- Map any CSV column to any Product field (No header row is required, but...)
- If you include a header row, the plugin will attempt to map column values to product fields automatically. (You can override this, of course.)
- Map multiple CSV columns to the same Product field (last non-empty column wins, good for merging columns)
- Basic validation for multiple-choice fields (fields with a limited set of valid values like yes/no, instock/outofstock, etc.)
- Dollar signs, commas, etc. are stripped out of number fields like prices, weight, length, width, height
- If SKU already exists, existing product is updated rather than inserting new product. (Custom fields in product are now preserved, as well.)
- If SKU already exists and importing images, will skip duplicate image imports.
- Locale settings are supported to better handle importing files with special characters and other alphabets.
Importable Product Types
- Simple Products
- Virtual Products
- Downloadable Products
- External Products
Full List of Importable Attributes
- post_title (Name)
- post_content (Description)
- post_excerpt (Short Description)
- post_status (Post Status -- Publish, Draft, Trash, etc.)
- menu_order (Menu Order)
- comment_status (Comment/Review Status -- Open, Closed)
- ping_status (Trackback/Pingback Status -- Open, Closed)
- _regular_price (Regular Price)
- _sale_price (Sale Price)
- _tax_status (Tax Status)
- _tax_class (Tax Class)
- _visibility (Visibility)
- _featured (Featured)
- _weight (Weight)
- _length (Length)
- _width (Width)
- _height (Height)
- _sku (SKU)
- _downloadable (Downloadable)
- _virtual (Virtual)
- _stock (Stock)
- _stock_status (Stock Status)
- _backorders (Backorders)
- _manage_stock (Manage Stock)
- product_cat (Categories, by Name or ID)
- product_tag (Tags, by Name or ID)
- product_shipping_class (Shipping Class, by Name or ID)
- Custom Fields
- Product Images (By URL or Local File Path)
- _button_text (Button Text, for External Products)
- _product_url (Product URL, for External Products)
- _file_paths (File Paths, for Downloadable Product)
- _download_expiry (Download Expiration, in Days)
- _download_limit (Download Limit, an integer)
- Post Meta (WordPress' native post_meta)
Because the plugin is hosted on Github and not WordPress.org, the installation process might be a little different than you're used to. I've put together a quick rundown (with screenshots!) of how to install the plugin here: http://webpresencepartners.com/2013/01/22/installing-a-wordpress-plugin-from-a-github-repo/
Importing Hierarchical Categories
You can now import hierarchical category structures!
- Include the full category "path" in your CSV, separated by forward slashes.
- For example, to add a product in a category called "Spoons", with a parent category of "Utensils", inside another category called "Kitchen", set your CSV field to "Kitchen/Utensils/Spoons".
- The plugin will create the hierarchy if it does not exist.
More info and example on our blog: http://webpresencepartners.com/2013/01/13/importing-hierarchical-categories-into-woocommerce/
Not Supported (Yet)
- Variable and Grouped Products
- Custom taxonomies
- Attributes (and Global Attributes)
If you see something on the 'Not Supported' list that you absolutely must have, let me know. We can try to move it up on the priority list or, ( cough cough ) you could hire us!
- Plugin becomes self-aware.
How to Get HELP!
- The issue is almost always related to the CSV file you are using, so please include that with your help request!
- Submit your CSV file and a description of your problem here: http://webpresencepartners.com/help/
- Or, email us directly at email@example.com with your CSV file and a description of your problem. (Caution, direct e-mail is often flagged as spam.)
- David Decker (deckerweb) has added full i18n support as well as a German translation to the plugin. Thank you, David!
- Julien LE THUAUT (jlethuau) added the (much requested) CSV field separator option to the plugin. Thanks very much!
Thanks to the following folks for helping make this plugin even better!
- Github user becasual for running his server out of memory, prompting me to add AJAXy importing and for finding that spaces in image URLs were causing problems
- Subhan Toba for noting that we were inserting duplicate SKUs, prompting me to support product updating
- J.Ant for suggesting the addition of External Product support.
- Andy for suggesting post_status importing, and finding a price importing bug.
- Github user miguelGnomonet for submitting a bug report.
- Many users for reporting duplicate image imports.
- Dave Taylor for putting way more columns in his CSV than I ever would. ;) The import preview table is now responsive!
- Many, many users for reporting trouble importing CSV files in foreign languages.
More Information on our Blog
Woo Product Importer is Copyright 2012-2013 Web Presence Partners LLC.
Woo Product Importer is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option) any later version.
Woo Product Importer is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Lesser General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU Lesser General Public License along with Woo Product Importer. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/.