DICE IDE Tutorial
The DICE Monitoring Platform plug-in in Eclipse providers end-users with access to the platform's controller service REST API, the administration interface, and to the visualization engine.
In order to configure the default end-points for DICE Monitoring Service, do the following:
- select Preferences option from Window menu,
- under DICE entry, select Monitoring Tools,
- edit the preferences for monitoring platform
- protocol: choose http or https to indicate which protocol the DICE Monitoring Service uses;
- server: enter the IP or the host name where the DICE Monitoring Service is accessible;
- admin port: provide the port number of the DICE Monitoring Service's REST API
- visualization port: provide the port number of the DICE Monitoring Service Visualization user interface
- click Apply to save preferences.
To connect to the DICE Monitoring Platform Administration interface, select Open DICE Monitoring Service under DICE Tools menu. This will open a new window of the built-in browser pointing to the DICE Monitoring Platform Controller service REST API. The address opened depends on the preferences provided in the installation step.
The opened view will show the Swagger UI for the DICE Monitoring Controller REST API, which exposes the specific operations for management and query of the platform, such as:
- control (deploy/start/stop) platform’s core components (Elasticsearch, Kibana, Logstash)
- manage monitored nodes: register nodes, change configuration parameters and current status, deploy and configure node-level metrics, start/stop components
- query the platform, retrieve collected data defining metrics of interest, time window, etc.
To execute an operation against DICE Monitoring Platform, do the following:
- Click on the verb (GET, POST, PUT, DELETE)
- Fill in any details required by the operation
- Press ‘Try it out’ button
This will issue the operation on the platform and result is sent back to the user. For example, to list all nodes monitored by the platform, click GET button corresponding to /dmon/v1/observer/nodes. In the response body received after ‘Try it out!’ button is pressed, you will get the list of monitored nodes.
The operations exposed by DICE Monitoring Platform REST API are extensively described in couple of places: Deliverable D4.1 and D4.2 - Monitoring and data warehousing tools – Initial/final version, or DICE Monitoring Platform Wiki page, which is the up to date documentation and the authoritative source for it.
To connect to the DICE Monitoring Platform Visualization interface, select Open DICE Monitoring Service Visualization UI under DICE Tools menu. This will open a new window of the built-in browser pointing to the DICE Monitoring Platform Visualization UI. The address opened depends on the preferences provided in the installation step.
The opened view will show the Kibana user interface for DICE Monitoring service.The official Kibana Getting started website introduces the end-user to Kibana experience. For example, to create a CPU load graph, do the following:
- from the main menu, select Visualize
- on ‘Create new visualization’ page select ‘Line chart’ and then select ‘from a new search’
- select the appropriate index, that is logstash.*
- then, on metrics area (Y-axis), select Aggregation type = Average and Field = midterm
- repeat the step above for shortterm and longterm fields
- on buckets area (X-axis), select Aggregation type = Date histogram and Field = @timestamp; leave interval=Auto
- from top-right corner, select the time interval (last 15 minutes, last hour, today, last week, last month etc.)
- click ‘Apply changes’ button (the green play arrow)
- the right panel will contain the chart built appropriately.