DA-Suspenders is a base Rails application that you can upgrade.
This is a fork of thoughtbot's original Suspenders, customized to our needs.
First install the da-suspenders gem:
gem install da-suspenders
da-suspenders create projectname
This will create a Rails 3.2 app in
projectname. This script creates a new git repository. It is not meant to be used against an existing repo.
If you want to create an app using Mongoid pass the
da-suspenders create projectname --with-mongoid
DA-Suspenders uses Trout to make it easier to maintain a base version of special files (like Gemfile) in Suspenders.
Whenever you want to get the latest and greatest files from DA-Suspenders’, run:
You can use
trout list to check which files are tracked by Trout, and
trout update FILENAME if you want to update just a single file only.
To see the latest and greatest gems, look at DA-Suspenders' template/trout/Gemfile, which will be copied into your projectname/Gemfile.
It includes application gems like:
- bootstrap-sass, bringing Twitter Bootstrap to the Rails asset pipeline.
- Compass, a Sass-based CSS Meta-Framework
- Kaminari for easy pagination (view templates modified to be compatible with Bootstrap)
- Paperclip or CarrierWave for file uploads
- simple_form for better forms
- Devise and CanCan for authentication and authorization
- AppConfig for simple application configuration
- Airbrake for exception notification
And testing gems like:
- RSpec for awesome, readable isolation testing
- Factory Girl for easier creation of test data
- Timecop for dealing with time
- Pry, a powerful alternative to IRB (try
binding.pryinside a test method)
Some gems are commented out by default in the Gemfile – just uncomment the ones you want to use.
DA-Suspenders also comes with:
- Additional staging environment.
- German localization and timezone setting.
- Rails' flashes set up and in application layout.
See template/files to see what is installed via Trout.