MicroPython Resources for XBee Devices
This project contains modules and sample code for use on XBee devices with MicroPython. Digi has written some of the modules and samples, in addition to modifying existing code to address differences between the XBee and other MicroPython platforms. This project includes code from micropython-lib.
The repository is used by the Digi XBee MicroPython PyCharm Plugin to get the available samples, libraries platforms and stubs and facilitate the process of creating and launching MicroPython applications in XBee devices. This means that you don't need to clone it unless you want to contribute with new content as the PyCharm plugin will handle all necessary resources automatically.
We don't recommend you to do so, but you can still use the content of this repository to create XBee MicroPython applications by your own (without using the Digi XBee MicroPython PyCharm Plugin). In any case, you will find information on how to get started with XBee and MicroPython in the Digi MicroPython Programming Guide.
Modules and samples within the repository can be executed only in XBee devices with MicroPython support. This is the list of current compatible devices:
- Digi XBee3 Zigbee 3 (firmware 1006 and later)
- Digi XBee3 802.15.4 (firmware 2003 and later)
- Digi XBee3 DigiMesh 2.4 (firmware 3002 and later)
- Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE-M/NB-IoT (firmware 11410 and later)
- Digi XBee3 Cellular LTE Cat 1 (firmware 31010 and later)
- Digi XBee Cellular 3G (firmware 1130B and later)
- Digi XBee Cellular LTE Cat 1 (firmware 100B and later)
The repository is structured in the following folders:
- lib - Files in the
lib/directory mirror the structure you'd use when uploading to the XBee device. For example,
lib/umqtt/simple.pyis the correct location for
import umqtt.simpleto work in your program.
- platforms - This folder contains the definition and images for the Digi XBee products supporting MicroPython. This information is used by the Digi XBee MicroPython PyCharm Plugin to list the supported platforms.
- samples - Files in the
samples/directory are organized by feature or XBee device. For example,
cellularcontains samples for XBee3 Cellular devices and
i2ccontains samples for any XBee device with I2C support in MicroPython.
- typehints - This folder contains the API definitions of the MicroPython modules available in the XBee devices. These definitions are used by the Digi XBee MicroPython PyCharm Plugin for syntax checking, code completion and refactoring.
For information on how to get started with XBee and MicroPython, see the Digi MicroPython Programming Guide.
How to Contribute
The contributing guidelines are in the CONTRIBUTING.md document.
This software is open-source software. Copyright Digi International, 2018, 2019.
samples/ folder, stub files in
typehints/ folder and most of
the source code in the
lib/ directory is covered by the
MIT License. Individual library files may contain alternate
licensing, depending on their origin.