- What is switch-window
- Configure and Usage
- I want to select a window with "a-z" instead of "1-9".
- I want to let window to show bigger label.
- I want to hide window label when window's number < 3
- I want to select minibuffer with label "z".
- I want to auto resize a window when switch to it
- Switch-window seem to conflict with Exwm, how to do?
- I use text terminal, but I want bigger label.
- I want to use image or icon as label.
- `switch-window-shortcut-appearance' can't satisfy my need. how to do?
- Have any other similar package exist?
What is switch-window
switch-window is an Emacs window switch tool, which offer a visual way to choose a window to switch to, delete, split or other operations.
- Config melpa source, please read: http://melpa.org/#/getting-started
- M-x package-install RET switch-window RET
Note: User can install switch-window with El-Get too.
Configure and Usage
(require 'switch-window) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x o") 'switch-window) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 1") 'switch-window-then-maximize) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 2") 'switch-window-then-split-below) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 3") 'switch-window-then-split-right) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 0") 'switch-window-then-delete) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 d") 'switch-window-then-dired) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 f") 'switch-window-then-find-file) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 m") 'switch-window-then-compose-mail) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 r") 'switch-window-then-find-file-read-only) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 C-f") 'switch-window-then-find-file) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 C-o") 'switch-window-then-display-buffer) (global-set-key (kbd "C-x 4 0") 'switch-window-then-kill-buffer)
When switch-window is enabled, user can use the below five keys:
|"i"||Move the border up|
|"k"||Move the border down|
|"j"||Move the border left|
|"l"||Move the border right|
If you want to customize this feature, please see variable: `switch-window-extra-map'.
Note: if you use auto-resize window feature, you must know that when you execute above window operate commands, auto-resize feature will be disabled temporarily, you should use above "SPC" key to resume.
I want to select a window with "a-z" instead of "1-9".
(setq switch-window-shortcut-style 'qwerty) (setq switch-window-qwerty-shortcuts '("a" "s" "d" "f" "j" "k" "l" ";" "w" "e" "i" "o"))
I want to let window to show bigger label.
(setq switch-window-increase 6) ;Increase or decrease this number.
I want to hide window label when window's number < 3
(setq switch-window-threshold 2)
I want to select minibuffer with label "z".
(setq switch-window-minibuffer-shortcut ?z)
I want to auto resize a window when switch to it
(setq switch-window-auto-resize-window t) (setq switch-window-default-window-size 0.8) ;80% of frame size (switch-window-mouse-mode) ;auto resize when switch window with mouse
(setq switch-window-auto-resize-window (lambda () (equal (buffer-name) "*scratch*"))) ;when return t, run auto switch (setq switch-window-default-window-size '(0.8 . 0.6)) ;80% width and 60% height of frame
By the way, you can use package golden-ratio also.
Switch-window seem to conflict with Exwm, how to do?
By default, switch-window get user's input with the help of function `read-event', this approach does not work well with Exwm (Emacs X window manager), user should set the below variable and use minibuffer to get input instead:
(setq switch-window-input-style 'minibuffer)
Note: if you use minibuffer to get input, the feature about `switch-window-minibuffer-shortcut' will not work well.
I use text terminal, but I want bigger label.
The only choice is using asciiart, which draw a bigger label with small ascii char.
(setq switch-window-shortcut-appearance 'asciiart)
I want to use image or icon as label.
Prepare your label images, rename them to: 1.png … 9.png, a.png … z.png.
You can use other image types supported by Emacs, please see: `image-types'.
Put all above images to directory: `switch-window-image-directory'.
Set variable: `switch-window-shortcut-appearance'
(setq switch-window-shortcut-appearance 'image)
`switch-window-shortcut-appearance' can't satisfy my need. how to do?
All you should do is hacking you own label buffer function, for example: my-switch-window-label-buffer-function, and set the below variable:
(setq switch-window-label-buffer-function 'my-switch-window-label-buffer-function)
Have any other similar package exist?
1.5.0 - 2017-04-29
- Implement commands:
- Let switch-window work well with Exwm (Emacs X window manager).
- User can customize switch-window label's appearance.
1.0.0 - 2015-01-14
- Please fixme.
0.11 - 2013-09-14
- restore point to end-of-buffer for windows where it was the case after switching, fixing an anoying bug.
0.10 - 2011-06-19
- implement M-x delete-other-window (thanks developernotes on github)
0.9 - 2010-11-11 - emacs22 called, it wants some support
- implement a propertize based hack to support emacs22
0.8 - 2010-09-13 - 999
- Suport more than 9 windows (with a single key to type)
- Use quail-keyboard-layout to choose single key labels for windows
0.7 - 2010-08-23 - window-dedicated-p
- temporarily unset the window dedicated flag for displaying the numbers, patch from René Kyllingstad Rene@Kyllingstad.com
- fix timeout and RET handling wrt to not changing window selection
0.6 - 2010-08-12 - Minibuf-1
- add support for selecting the minibuffer when it's active
- some try at a better horizontal centering
- assorted cleanup
0.5 - 2010-08-08 - Polishing
- dim:switch-window-increase is now a maximum value
Converted from switch-window.el by el2org .