Build and deploy tools for the Ding project
To get your own installation of the Ding project you should use the ding_build tool, which is a part of the ding-deploy package
The required server software for running Ding:
- Apache 2.x with mod_rewrite
- PHP 5.2.X and APC or XCache
- MySQL 5.X
The configuration must adhere to the default system requirements for Drupal.
In addition the default configuration the following settings must be configured as follows:
memory_limitmust be at least
max_execution_timemust be at least
Building a local installation
NB: The following guide has been tested on Linux and OSX machines. Ewan Andreasen has a writeup about how to do this on Windows XP (in Danish).
The following utilities should be accessible from the command line:
- A working version of Python
- The latest version of Drush and Drush Make. v2.0-beta7 or later is required for git repository revision support.
- A working version of Git (Installation guide). v1.7 or later is required for https suppport.
Go through the following steps:
- Get a version of the ding-deploy package by either
- Cloning the repository from GitHub
- Downloading a tagged version which corresponds to a Ding release and unpack it
- Open a console and navigate to the
python ding_build.py [options] [installation path].
If you run
python ding_build.pywithout additional parameters, a full site will be built for you in the
The options include
-d: Debug. Required if you want to track the build progress
-D: Developer copy. Build developer copy, using authenticated Git repositories.
-m MODE: Build mode. Use 'site' for full Drupal site, 'profile' for just the installation profile. Default is 'site'.
Wait. The build process should take ~5 minutes.
- Optional - download a translation:
- Navigate to your installation path
drush dl [language code].
drush dl dadownloads the Danish translation
- NB: This step should be obsolete once drush make supports translations.
- Make your ding installation is accessible from your web server and create a corresponding database in MySQL
- Open a browser and navigate to the web path for your Ding installation. This should display the Drupal installer with the option of using the Ding! installation profile.
- Follow the installation instructions
- Select the Ding! installation profile
- Create a copy of
sites/default/default.settings.phpand name it
- Enter your database configuration (if needed)
- Configure your site
- Enter the Ting configuration. The values needed here should be provided by DBC. Ting service settings are required for accessing the Ting database. Additional information settings are required to display cover images.
- Enter the Alma configuration. The values needed here should be provided by Axiell. Alma configuration is required for accessing the library system to enable user login through CPR/PIN, check material availability, make reservations etc.
- Access your new Ding site!
Downloading a local installation
If you want to get a local installation up and running quickly or do not have access to the developer tools mentioned above you can download a build of Ding from GitHub.
If you choose to download a release you can skip straight to step 6 in the walkthrough above.
The list of downloads should contain builds of all our releases since 1.1.1.
Simple developer site
It is also possible to use this Git repository as a standard Drupal install profile without our special Python build script.
If you want to take this approach, simply check out this folder in your
drupal/profiles folder and run
drush make --no-core --contrib-destination=. ding.make within it.