A curated list of awesome D frameworks, libraries and software. Inspired by awesome-python.
I created this list so that when I needed something in the future, it would be easy to find. Most of the documents and links are collected from the D forum, the D wiki, and the D package repository. Exploring GitHub also helps as many of the libs are hosted there.
- Basic Information
- Language Related
- Compiler for other languages
- Continuous Integration
- Networking/Web Related
- Internationalization (i18n) / Globalization
- Image Processing
- End-user applications (AppImages, Flatpaks, Snaps...)
- Machine Learning
- Parallel computing
Official Website URLs.
- dlang.org - Official website for D.
- wiki.dlang.org - Official Wiki for D.
- code.dlang.org - Offical Library/Module Registry for D.
- Github Organization - Official GitHub organization for D. Repo for all official D tools & code.
- forum.dlang.org - Official forum. Many interesting discussions occurring on a daily basis.
- blog.dlang.org - Official blog.
- Language Specification - D programming language specification.
- Issue tracking - Official issue tracking/reporting system for D. If you find bugs in the D compiler and/or libraries, please come and report them!
For when you're stuck.
- Official D Forum Learn Group - Highest traffic site for answering D questions.
- D on Stack Overflow - Less traffic than forums but possibly easier to search.
- D on Rosetta Code - Examples of how to do many basic things in D.
The people that made D the language it is.
- Walter Bright - Father of D. Walter Bright is the creator and first implementer of the D programming language and has implemented compilers for several other languages.
- Andrei Alexandrescu, PhD - C++ guru. Author of The D Programming Language and Modern C++ Design. With Walter Bright, Andrei co-designed many important features of D and authored a large part of D's standard library. Andrei works as a trainer in advanced C++ programming and algorithms and is now actively evangelizing D in the organization.
- Átila Neves - Deputy Leader of D.
- YOU - Please add your information if you've done something interesting in D. It is you, the awesome people that made D awesome.
- DConf - the premier event where D luminaries exchange knowledge, insight, and inspiration on everything related to the D language and its ecosystem.
Organizations that contribute to D projects.
- D Programming Language - Official Organization, hosts DMD, Phobos and other official tools and libs.
- LDC Developers - LDC releated projects.
- DerelictOrg - A GitHub organization hosting all Derelict bindings including OpenGL and other multimedia/game related library bindings. (OpenGL 3, Bgfx, ENet, SDL 2, GLFW 3，OpenGLES, Free Image, Assimp3, libtheora, libogg, libvorbis, SFML 2, libpq, PhysicsFS, Open Dynamics Engine, Lua, DevIL, OpenAL, ALURE).
- DlangScience -A focal point and first port of call for scientific libraries and tooling for D.
- Circular Studios - We are a group of game developers at Rochester Institute of Technology building games and game tech. Hosts Dash, a 3D game engine written in D, and other related libs.
- d-gamedev-team - An organization of gamedev related repos, including a D gamedev toolkit called gfm and an opengl tutorial in D.
- EMSI - A Career building company that uses D as their main language. Hosts their opensource projects.
- infognition - Infognition is a self-funded and self-sustained company specializing in video processing and compression technologies for end-users and developers. They provide several opensource video related applications & tools written in D, hosted on bitbucket. They are also porting their main product--Video Enchanser from C/C++ to D.
- libmir - D's numeric library development team
- sociomantic labs - Berlin based company specializing in real-time bidding for online advertising. Main sponsor of the annual D language conference. Has open-sourced large parts of their codebase as part of the tsunami organization.
- Symmetry Investments - Symmetry Investments LP is an investment management company with approximately US$4.7 billion in assets under management as of 31 December 2018. Main sponsor of the Symmetry Autumn of Code. Have sponsored the development of excel-d, dpp, autowrap, mir-algorithm, and various other projects.
- HuntLabs - A technology group using DLang. Have pure D language implementation of quickly develop server-side applications and build distributed system services.
D related books. You can find another list of books on the Books D wiki page.
- TDPL - The D Programming Language by Andrei Alexandrescu.
- Programming in D - A very detailed book about programming in D by Ali Çehreli covering many areas of the language. Has a free online version and is suitable for beginners.
- D Cookbook - A recipe-packed reference guide filled with practical tasks that are concisely explained to develop and broaden the user's abilities with the D programming language. by Adam D. Ruppe. Here is an interesting review of the book.
- Learning D - This book is intended for those with some background in a C-family language who want to learn how to apply their knowledge and experience to D. (...) This book will help you get up to speed with the language and avoid common pitfalls that arise when translating C-family experience to D.
- D Web Development - Whether you are new to the world of D, or already have developed applications in D, or if you want to leverage the power of D for web development, then this book is ideal for you.
D related tutorials.
- The Dlang Tour - An interactive tutorial for D, inspired by Golang Tour.
- Pragmatic D tutorial - This is a pragmatic introduction to the D Programming Language. by Andreas Zwinkau.
- D Template Tutorial - A tutorial dedicated to D Templates. Very good explanation about templates. Has pdf version. by Philippe Sigaud.
- Component programming in D - An article written by Walter Bright that details how D's functional support leads to a flexible and beautiful component programming style.
- Component programming with ranges - A detailed blog post about how to do component programming in a idiomatic D way with ranges, with a full working example.
- Functional image processing in D - A very interesting tutorial about writing an image processing lib in D. Shows the power of D's templates/CTFE/Ranges/UFCS for functional style programming.
- OpenGL tutorials - OpenGL tutorials in D.
- Creating a simple JSON serialiser in D - D metaprogramming tutorial series
Bare metal / kernel development
- D Bare bones - kernel hello world in D (using GDC compiler)
- D barebone with ldc2 - another kernel hello world in D (using LDC compiler)
- XOmB bare bones - an exokernel operating system written in D. Main page, github.
- Bare Metal ARM Cortex-M GDC Cross Compiler - building a bare metal ARM Cortex-M (arm-none-eabi) GDC cross compiler for a Linux host.
D related blogs.
- blog.dlang.org - Official blog.
- /r/d_language on Reddit - A feed of news and blog posts about D.
- This week in D - A weekly overview of activity in the D community and brief advice columns to help you get the most out of the D Programming Language.
- Planet D - A repository of co-authored D-specific blogs maintained by Vladimir Panteleev.
- D Idioms - A great blog for many useful idioms with D programming.
- GTK-D coding - Simple examples of how to use GtkD to build GUI applications.
- Tasty D - A blog about learning the D programming language and various D language trivia.
D related Aritcles.
- Purity in D - An article that explains the design principles behind D's purity feature.
- Hidden treasures in the D standard library - An article talking about several useful functions and templates in Phobos.
- Porting D Runtime to ARM - A study about porting a minimal D runtime to ARM Cortex-M preprocessors.
- D is for Data Science - A great post about how D is suitable for data science, particularly, replacing the role of python scripts for fast prototyping.
- D Functional Garden
Libraries for package and dependency management.
- code.dlang.org - Official D library repository. Backed by dub.
- dub - Official package and build management system for D.
Compile software from source code.
- dmd - The reference compiler for the D programming language. Stable, builds insanely fast, very good for learning and rapid prototyping/development. Currently the frontend is implemented in D, and shared between dmd, ldc and gdc, the backend is implemented in C++.
- ldc - The LLVM-based D compiler. Uses the DMD frontend and LLVM backend. Builds slower than dmd, but generates more optimized code than DMD. It supports all the target platforms of LLVM.
- gdc - GNU D Compiler. Use DMD frontend and GCC backend. Currently targets the most platforms due to the use of GCC. Generated code runs faster than DMD in most cases, on par with LDC. In the process of integration with the official GCC toolchain.
- sdc - The Stupid D Compiler. Written in D. Grows Smarter every day.
- dil - A compiler for the D programming language. Written in D.
Tools for more productive D development.
- D-Scanner - Swiss-army knife for D source code (linting, static analysis, D code parsing, etc.)
- dfmt - formatter for D source code
Manage projects and compile software from source code.
- dub - De facto official package and build management system for D. Will be included officially soon.
- scons-d - Scons has built-in support for building D projects, thanks to Russel Winder.
- premake - Premake has built-in support for D projects
- reggae - meta build system in D
- Makefile - Makefile template for D projects
- cmake-d - CMake D Projects
- cook2 - Fast incremental build tool intended for projects in D
- button - A universal build system to build your software at the push of a button.
- wild - Wild build system, used to build the PowerNex kernel
IDEs & Editors
Integrated Development Environment.
- Mono-D - A D language addon for MonoDevelop. With dub support.
- Visual D - Visual Studio extension for the D programming language.
- DDT - Eclipse plugin for the D programming language.
- IntelliJ D Language - Support for the D programming language within IntelliJ IDEA.
- Dexed - IDE for the D programming language, its compilers, tools and libraries.
- Dlang IDE - D language IDE based on DlangUI. This is a pure D implementation.
- Dutyl - Vim plugin that integrates various D development tools
- code-d [open-vsx] - Visual Studio Code extension using serve-d
- ide-d - Atom extension for D using serve-d
- DCD - Independent auto-complete program for the D programming language. Could be used with editors like vim, emacs, sublime text, textadept, and zeus. See editors support.
- serve-d - Language Server Protocol (LSP) implementation for D. Adds modern IDE features to any editor with LSP support (VSCode, Atom, Vim/Neovim and others)
Lexers, Parsers, Parser Generators
- libdparse - A D language lexer and parser, (possibly) future standard D parser/lexer.
- Martin Nowak's Lexer - A lexer generator.
- Mono-D's DParser - A D parser written in C# and used in Mono-D.
- Pegged - A Parsing Expression Grammar (PEG) module written in D.
- Goldie - Goldie Parsing System.
- ctpg - Compile-Time Parser (with converter) Generator written in D.
- dunnart - LALR(1) Parser Generator written in D.
- warp - A fast preprocessor for C and C++ used in Facebook infrastructure. Written by Walter Bright.
- hunt - A refined core library for D programming language. The module has concurrency / collection / event / io / logging / text / serialize and more.
- hunt-time - A time library and similar to Joda-time and Java.time api.
- hunt-validation - A data validation library for DLang based on hunt library.
- EMSI containers - Containers that do not use the GC
- memutils - Overhead allocators, allocator-aware containers and lifetime management for D objects
- dlib.container - generic data structures (GC-free dynamic and associative arrays and more)
- std.rcstring - A reference counted string implementation for D's build in string construct
- setup-dlang - Install D compilers & DUB inside GitHub Actions
- dub-upgrade - Run
dub upgradetrying to repeat on network failure and using package cache on GitHub Actions
- silly - Better test runner for the D programming language. No nonsense.
- dunit - Advanced unit testing & mocking toolkit
- unit-threaded - Multi-threaded unit test framework
- hunt-net - High-performance network library for D programming language, event-driven asynchonous implemention(IOCP / kqueue / epoll).
- hunt-http - HTTP/1 and HTTP/2 protocol library for D.
- hunt-stomp - STOMP for websocket protocol library implement in D.
- libasync - Cross-platform event loop library of asynchronous objects
- libhttp2 - HTTP/2 library in D, translated from nghttp2
- collie - An asynchronous event-driven network framework written in dlang, like netty framework in D.
- dlang-requests - HTTP client library inspired by python-requests
Full stack web frameworks.
- Hunt Framework - Hunt is a high-level D Programming Language Web framework that encourages rapid development and clean, pragmatic design. It lets you build high-performance Web applications quickly and easily.
- vibe.d - Asynchronous I/O Web Framework that doesn’t get in your way, written in D.
- arsd - Adam D. Ruppe's web framework.
- cmsed - A component library for Vibe that functions as a CMS.
- grpc - Grpc for D programming language, hunt-http library based.
- kissrpc - Fast and light, flatbuffers based rpc framework.
- Hprose - A very newbility RPC Library for D, and it support 25+ languages now.
- Apache Thrift - A lightweight, language-independent, featureful RPC framework. Thrift provides clean abstractions for data transport, data serialization, code generation, and application level processing. Dub package
- hunt-gossip - A Apache V2 gossip protocol implementation for D programming language.
- hunt-cache - D language universal cache library, using radix, redis and memcached.
Static Site Generator
- DSSG - A static site generator with a different approach.
Json, XML, protobuf and other data serialization libs.
- flatbuffers - D Programming Language implementation of the google flatbuffers library.
- cerealed - Serialisation library for D
- dproto - Google Protocol Buffer support in D.
- vibe.data.json - JSON functions in Vibe.d. Currently the best implementation I used.
- fast.json - A library for D that aims to provide the fastest possible implementation of some every day routines.
- std.json - D's standard library JSON module. Needs refinement.
- painlessjson - Convert between D types and std.json.
- std.data.json - Phobos candidate for JSON serialization (based on Vibed)
- asdf - Cache oriented string based JSON representation for fast read & writes and serialisation.
- orange - General purpose serializer (currently only supports XML)
- std.experimental.xml - Phobos candidate for a XML serialization
Clients and bindings to C bliencts for relational and nosql databases.
- hunt-entity - Hunt entity is an object-relational mapping tool for the D programming language. Referring to the design idea of JPA, support PostgreSQL / MySQL / SQLite.
- hunt-database - Hunt database abstraction layer for D programing language, support PostgreSQL / MySQL / SQLite.
- vibe.d - Vibe.d has internal support for Redis and MongoDB, which are very stable. Soon, the database drivers will be separated into independent projects.
- mysql-native - A MySQL client implemented in native D.
- ddb - Database access for D2. Currently only supports PostgreSQL.
- arsd - Adam D. Ruppe's library; in addition to a Web backend, it also has support for database access with database.d, sqlite.d, mysql.d and postgres.d.
- ddbc - DDBC is a DB Connector for D language (similar to JDBC). HibernateD (see below) uses ddbc for database abstraction.
- hibernated - HibernateD is an ORM for D (similar to Hibernate).
- dvorm - An ORM for D with Vibe support. Works with vibe.d and mysql-d, giving it the ability to access MongoDB and MySQL.
- Tiny Redis - Redis driver for D. Fast, Simple, Stable. Has no dependencies.
- hunt-console - Hunt console creation easier to create powerful command-line applications.
- tilix - A tiling terminal emulator for Linux using GTK+ 3.
- scriptlike - Utility library to aid writing script-like programs in D.
- todod - Todod is a command line based todo list manager. It also has support for shell interaction based on linenoise.
- d-colorize - A port of the ruby library colorize. It add some methods to set color, background color and text effect on console easier using ANSI escape sequences.
- terminal.d - Part of Adam Ruppe's arsd library supporting cursor and color manipulation on the console.
- dexpect - A D implementation of the expect framework. Handy for bash emulation.
- Argon - A processor for command-line arguments, an alternative to Getopt, written in D.
- argsd - A command line and config file parser for DLang
- darg - Robust command line argument parsing for D.
- commandr - A modern, powerful commmand line argument parser.
- luneta - A command-line fuzzy finder.
Libraries for working with graphical user interface applications.
- DLangUI - Cross Platform GUI for D programming language. My personal favorate, because it is written in D(not a binding), and is cross platform. DLangUI also has a good showcase in the IDE DLangIDE.
- GtkD - GtkD is a D binding and OO wrapper of GTK+. GtkD is actively maintained and is currently the most stable GUI lib for D.
- DWT - A library for creating cross-platform GUI applications. GWT is a port of the Java SWT library to D. DWT was promoted as a semi-standard GUI library for D, but unfortunately didn't catch up popularity yet.
- tkD - GUI toolkit for the D programming language based on Tcl/Tk.
- dqml - Qt Qml bindings for the D programming language.
- Sciter-Dport - D bindings for the Sciter - crossplatform HTML/CSS/script desktop UI toolkit.
- LibUI - Dynamic Binding for libui
Note: You can also find a list of GUI libs on wiki.dlang.org, but not all of the libraries are actively maintained now.
Operating Systems written in D
- PowerNex - A kernel written in D
- Trinix - Hybrid operating system for x64 PC written in D
- XOmB - An exokernel operating system written in D
Bindings to game development related C libraries.
- BindBC libraries -
@nogcbindings using bindbc-loader:
- OpenGL - bindbc-opengl
- GLFW 3 - bindbc-glfw
- SDL 2 - bindbc-sdl
- SDL2_gfx - bindbc-sdlgfx
- SFML 2 - bindbc-sfml
- Imgui - immediate UI - bindbc-imgui
- Nuklear - immediate UI - bindbc-nuklear
- raylib - bindbc-raylib
- bgfx - bindbc-bgfx
- WegGPU - bindbc-wgpu
- Zstandard - compression - bindbc-zstandard
- nanomsg-next-gen - bindbc-nng
- OpenAL - audio engine - bindbc-openal
- SoLoud - audio engine - bindbc-soloud
- KiWi - widget library - bindbc-kiwi
- NanoVG - vector drawing engine - bindbc-nanovg
- Blend2D - 2D Vector Graphics Powered by a JIT Compiler - bindbc-blend2d
- Lua - bindbc-lua
- JoyShockLibrary - bindbc-jsl
- Newton Dynamics - physics engine - bindbc-newton
- FreeImage - bindbc-freeimage
- Assimp5 - bindbc-assimp
- Freetype - bindbc-freetype
- Harfbuzz - text shaping engine - bindbc-harfbuzz
- DerelictOrg - A GitHub organization hosting all Derelict bindings including:
- OpenGL 3 (DerelictGL3),
- Bgfx (DerelictBgfx),
- ENet (DerelictENet),
- SDL 2 (DerelictSDL2),
- GLFW 3 (DerelictGLFW3),
- OpenGLES (DerelictGLES),
- Free Image (DerelictFI),
- Assimp3 (DerelictASSIMP3),
- libtheora (DerelictTheora),
- libogg (DerelictOgg),
- libvorbis (DerelictVorbis),
- SFML 2 (DerelictSFML2),
- libpq (DerelictPQ),
- PhysicsFS (DerelictPHYSFS),
- Open Dynamics Engine (DerelictODE),
- Lua (DerelictLua),
- DevIL (DerelictIL),
- OpenAL (DerelictAL),
- ALURE (DerelictALURE).
- DGame - A 2D framework for the D programming Language. see http://dgame-dev.de/.
- gfm - D gamedev toolkit. see http://d-gamedev-team.github.io/gfm/.
- Dash - A free and open 3D game engine written in D. see https://circularstudios.com/dash/.
- DSFML - A static binding of SFML in a way that makes sense for D. see http://dsfml.com/.
- DAllegro5 - D binding/wrapper to Allegro 5, a modern game programming library.
- Voxelman - Plugin-based client-server voxel game engine written in D language
- PolyplexEngine - libpp is an XNA like framework written in D.
- rengfx - lightweight, expressive, extensible 2D/3D game engine.
- Spacecraft - A 3d multiplayer deathmatch space game written in D 2.0.
- Dtanks - Robot Tank Battle Game.
- Atrium - FPS game with physics based puzzles using OpenGL.
- Backgammony - A Backgammon GUI for Linux built with Gtk.
- bindbc-icu - bindbc bindings for the unicode ICU library.
- DerelictGL3 - A dynamic binding to OpenGL for the D Programming Language.
- ArmageddonEngine - Vladimir Panteleev's ae library has a package for image processing in functional style, which is described in the article Functional Image Processing in D.
- Blogsort - A simple Windows app for viewing photos and preparing them for a blog.
- dlib.image - image processing (8 and 16 bits per channel, floating point operations, filtering, FFT, HDRI, graphics formats support including JPEG and PNG)
- color.d + bmp.d, jpg.d, png.d - basic color struct, HSL functions and reading and writing image files
- opencvd - Unofficial OpenCV binding for D
- Drill - Search files without indexing, but clever crawling
- vectorflow - Nexflix's opensource deep learning framework.
- bindbc-onnxruntime - bindbc bindings to Microsoft's cross-platform, high performance ML inferencing and training accelerator
- DCompute - GPGPU with Native D for OpenCL and CUDA
- DerelictCUDA - Dynamic bindings to the CUDA library for the D Programming Language.
- DerelictCL - Dynamic bindings to the OpenCL library for the D Programming Language.
- scid - Scientific library for the D programming language
- dstats - A statistics library for D.
- mir - Sandbox for some mir packages: sparse tensors, Hoffman and others.
- mir-algorithm - N-dimensional arrays (matrixes, tensors), algorithms, general purpose library.
- mir-random - Advanced Random Number Generators.
- decimals - Decimal library for D.
- bindbc-mecab - bindbc MeCab binding (Part-of-Speech and Morphological Analyzer for Japanese)
- hunt-markdown - A markdown parsing and rendering library for D programming language. Support commonMark.
- eBay's TSV utilities - Filtering, statistics, sampling, joins and other operations on TSV files. Very fast, especially good for large datasets.
Print with care.
- std.experimenatal.logger - Phobos's upcoming standard logging facility
- dlogg - Logging for concurrent applications and daemons with lazy and delayed logging, logrotate support.
Parsing configuration files
- sdlang - An SDL (Simple Declarative Language) library for D.
- D:YAML - YAML parser and emitter for the D programming language.
- inifile-D - A compile time ini file parser and writter generator for D
Hosting blogs yourself
- mood - simple vibe.d based blog engine