Frequently Asked Questions
How Do I Run the Bespoke Dynamic DNS Updater?
Bespoke Dynamic DNS Updater can be run in two different configurations:
As a console application. DNS-O-Matic credentials and hostnames are supplied in the application configuration file, and the console application can be run manually, or via a scheduled task.
As a Windows service. The service can be installed from the command line (a batch script is provided), or via a Windows Setup.exe application. When installed via the command line, DNS-O-Matic credentials and hostnames are supplied in the application configuration file. When installed via the Setup.exe, the installation wizard prompts for DNS-O-Matic credentials and hostnames.
How Often Does the Bespoke Dynamic DNS Updater Update My IP Addresses?
When run as a Windows Service, the updater checks if the IP Address has changed every 5 minutes. If the IP Address has changed since the last check, the client will update the IP Address with the DNS-O-Matic service, otherwise no update is sent to DNS-O-Matic.
Why Use the DNS-O-Matic Service?
- You can pick an updater client that you trust, or with features that you need, and it will still work even when you swith dynamic dns providers.
- You can update hostnames at different dynamic dns providers, without having to install multiple clients on the same computer.
- As a user of the DNS-O-Matic service, you can configure DNS-O-Matic to send you email notifications when your IP Addresses change, or when there are errors updating your hostnames. This is something that many updater clients or dynamic dns services do not provide.
Why another DNS-O-Matic Client?
- There is no official DNS-O-Matic client.
- Other existing clients are primarily closed source.
- There was no other open source client written in for the .NET Framework.
Why an Open Source DNS-O-Matic Client?
- Developers have the ability to extend or improve functionality as needed.
- Individuals and IT departments need to be able to trust the code that is running on their machines. Without an official client the best alternative is an open source solution.