Note: this program is really old, and is mainly here for archival purposes. It may or may not work.
Small GNU/Linux program that captures live midi input (a device like /dev/midi1 ) and maps the notes to simulated key presses. The map is set by a simple config file.
Requires X11 with the XTest extension and alsa.
- Make sure you have the X11 and alsa development files (libx11-dev and libasound2-dev in some distributions' repositories)
- Download source from the download tab, extract somewhere.
- Using the console, cd into the directory and run make
- If nothing goes wrong, you should be able to run the application
- Make sure you have alsa installed (libasound2 in some repositories)
- Extract the binary from the download page to a directory.
- Make executable if necessary.
./mid2key /dev/midi1 fofixdrums
Where /dev/midi1 is the midi device, and fofixdrums is the path to the config file.
Example config file
#set note #32 to spacebar 32=space #set note #33 to keycode 67 33=67 #leave note #34 unset 34= #also set note 35 to space 35=space
This is free and unencumbered software released into the public domain.
Anyone is free to copy, modify, publish, use, compile, sell, or distribute this software, either in source code form or as a compiled binary, for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and by any means.
In jurisdictions that recognize copyright laws, the author or authors of this software dedicate any and all copyright interest in the software to the public domain. We make this dedication for the benefit of the public at large and to the detriment of our heirs and successors. We intend this dedication to be an overt act of relinquishment in perpetuity of all present and future rights to this software under copyright law.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
For more information, please refer to http://unlicense.org/