DREBS (Disaster Recovery for Elastic Block Store)
- DREBS is a tool for taking periodic snapshots of EBS volumes.
- DREBS is designed to be run on the EC2 host which the EBS volumes to be snapshoted are attached.
- DREBS supports configurable retention strategies.
- DREBS supports configurable pre and post snapshot tasks such as dumping databases prior to snapshot for consistency.
Installation & Setup
- Clone the repo or install the gem
- Output the example configuration to a file: drebs check_config example_config > your_config.yml
- Create an AWS account with authorization limited to create, list, & delete snapshots (Example coming soon)
- Add AWS API keys for above account to your_config.yml
- configure your_config.yml per your backup requirements
- test your configuration: drebs check_config your_config.yml && drebs check_cloud your_config.yml
- Add Crontab entry: 0 * * * * drebs execute your_config.yml
- Improve test coverage
- Use Whenever gem for crontab setup
- Arbitrary execution intervals (Snapshots every 5 minutes instead of every hour)
- AWS API keys and other config values from Instance Data: http://docs.aws.amazon.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/AESDG-chapter-instancedata.html
- Add example AWS user access configuration
shell command: If you do:
drebs shell some_configyou will end up at a shell with
@drebsdefined and you will be able to access
@drebs.cloud. If you set
@drebs.cloudto be an instance of TestCloud from the test suite you should be able to execute various functions without actually hitting AWS and so work from your dev box.
Due to the nature of drebs being designed to be run from an ec2 you will need to be on your ec2 instance to test many of the AWS interactions.
You should be able to verify data on a snapshot by creating an ebs volume from the snapshot, attaching the volume to your instance and then mounting its file system on some mount point - aws docs on using volumes
Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License"); you may not use this file except in compliance with the License. You may obtain a copy of the License at
Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the License for the specific language governing permissions and limitations under the License.