ChatSecure is an instant messaging client for iOS that integrates encrypted "Off the Record" messaging support from the libotr library. It uses the LibOrange library to handle all of the AIM (OSCAR) functionality and the XMPPFramework to handle Jabber/GTalk (XMPP).
This project is *100% free* because it is important that all people around the world have unrestricted access to privacy tools. However, developing and supporting this project is hard work and costs real money. Please help support the development of this project!
If you would like to contribute/improve a translation:
- Visit our Transifex project page and make an account if you don't have one already.
- Go to the resources subsites AppStore.strings & Localizable.strings to add a new language or improve an existing translation.
- Open an issue on Github notifying us of your translation.
Bold indicates it has been tested and works properly.
- Adium (Mac OS X) - OTR works over both XMPP and Oscar.
- climm (Unix-like), since (mICQ) 0.5.4.
- MCabber (Unix-like), since 0.9.4
- CenterIM (Unix-like), since 4.22.2
- Phoenix Viewer (successor of Emerald Viewer), a Second Life client (Cross-platform)
- Vacuum IM (Cross-platform)
- Jitsi (Cross-platform)
- BitlBee (Cross-platform), since 3.0 (optional at compile-time)
- Pidgin (cross-platform), with pidgin-otr plugin.
- Kopete (Unix-like), either with a third-party plugin or, since the addition of Kopete-OTR on 12th of March 2008, with the version of Kopete shipped with KDE 4.1.0 and later releases.
- Miranda IM (Microsoft Windows), with a third-party plugin
- Psi (Cross-platform), with a third-party plugin and build, in Psi+ native usable
- Trillian (Microsoft Windows), with a third-party plugin
- irssi, with a third-party plugin
- AOL Instant Messenger (Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows)
- iChat (Mac OS X)
- Proteus (Mac OS X)
- Gibberbot (formerly OtRChat), a free and open source Android application (still in early development) produced by The Guardian Project, provides OTR protocol compatible over XMPP chat.
- BEEM - Android XMPP client (compatibility unknown)
Software License Agreement (Modified BSD License) Copyright (c) 2012, Chris Ballinger. All rights reserved. Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are met: * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution. * Neither the name of ChatSecure nor the names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software without specific prior written permission. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL CHRIS BALLINGER BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
This software additionally references or incorporates the following sources of intellectual property, the license terms for which are set forth in the sources themselves:
The following dependencies are bundled with the ChatSecure, but are under terms of a separate license:
- libotr - provides the core message encryption capabilities
- LibOrange - handles all of the OSCAR (AIM) functionality
- XMPPFramework - XMPP support
- MBProgressHUD - a nice looking progress HUD
- MWFeedParser - Methods for escaping HTML strings
- Crittercism - crash reports, only submitted via opt-in
- SFHFKeychainUtils - Utilities to store passwords securely in the iOS keychain
- Appirater - nags people to give reviews
- Nick Hum - awesome icon.
- Glyphish - icons used on the tab bar.
- Adium - lock/unlock icon used in chat window, status gems.
- Sergio Sánchez López - AIM protocol icon.
- Goxxy - Google Talk icon.