.NET interactive provides data scientists and developers a way to explore data, experiment with code, and try new ideas effortlessly. Use .NET Interactive to build .NET Jupyter notebooks or custom interactive coding experiences.
Jupyter Notebooks with .NET
There are several ways to get started using .NET with Jupyter.
- Try sample .NET notebooks online using Binder. This also allows you try out our daily builds, which includes preview features of F# 5.
- Create and run .NET notebooks on your machine. (Installation instructions below.)
- Share your own .NET notebooks with others online using Binder.
- Use .NET Interactive with nteract
How to Install .NET Interactive
First, make sure you have the following installed:
The .NET 3.1 SDK.
Jupyter. Jupyter can be installed using Anaconda.
Open the Anaconda Prompt (Windows) or Terminal (macOS) and verify that Jupyter is installed and present on the path:
> jupyter kernelspec list python3 ~\jupyter\kernels\python3
- Next, in an ordinary console, install the
dotnet interactiveglobal tool:
> dotnet tool install -g --add-source "https://dotnet.myget.org/F/dotnet-try/api/v3/index.json" Microsoft.dotnet-interactive
- Register .NET Interactive as a Jupyter kernel by running the following within your Anaconda Prompt:
> dotnet interactive jupyter install [InstallKernelSpec] Installed kernelspec .net-powershell in ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-powershell .NET kernel installation succeeded [InstallKernelSpec] Installed kernelspec .net-csharp in ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-csharp .NET kernel installation succeeded [InstallKernelSpec] Installed kernelspec .net-fsharp in ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-fsharp .NET kernel installation succeeded
- You can now verify the installation by running the following in the Anaconda Prompt:
> jupyter kernelspec list .net-csharp ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-csharp .net-fsharp ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-fsharp .net-powershell ~\jupyter\kernels\.net-powershell python3 ~\jupyter\kernels\python3
We are providing a number of packages that can be used to write custom extensions for .NET Interactive or to build your own interactive experiences.
As we are still in the early stages of development, we may not take any feature PRs at the moment, but we intend to do so in the future. If you find an bug or have a feature suggestion, please open an issue.
Customers & Partners
|Azure Synapse Analytics||Azure HDInsight (HDI)|
|Azure Synapse Analytics uses the .NET kernel to write and run quick ad-hoc queries in addition to developing complete, end-to-end big data scenarios, such as reading in data, transforming it, and visualizing it||You can launch Jupyter notebooks from your HDInsight cluster to run big data queries against the compute resources in that cluster.|