.NET Core IoT Libraries
.NET Core can be used to build applications for IoT devices and scenarios. IoT applications typically interact with sensors, displays and input devices that require the use of GPIO pins, serial ports or similar hardware.
NOTE: This repository is still in experimental stage and all APIs are subject to changes.
.NET Core Versions
Whilst most of the device binding projects target .NET Core 2.1 for backward compatibility, the sample projects target the latest stable .NET Core. This applies to the sample projects with each device as well as the example projects on the
How to Install
You can install the latest daily pre-release build of the .NET Core System.Device.Gpio and Iot.Device.Bindings NuGet packages from the blob feed.
nuget install System.Device.Gpio -PreRelease -Source https://pkgs.dev.azure.com/dnceng/public/_packaging/dotnet5/nuget/v3/index.json nuget install Iot.Device.Bindings -PreRelease -Source https://pkgs.dev.azure.com/dnceng/public/_packaging/dotnet5/nuget/v3/index.json
Official Build Status
dotnet add package System.Device.Gpio --source https://pkgs.dev.azure.com/dnceng/public/_packaging/dotnet5/nuget/v3/index.json dotnet add package Iot.Device.Bindings --source https://pkgs.dev.azure.com/dnceng/public/_packaging/dotnet5/nuget/v3/index.json
For information on how to build this repository and to add new device bindings, please head out to Contributing.
Please contribute. We are primarily interested in the following:
- Improving quality and capability of the drivers for supported boards.
- Implementations for additional boards.
- .NET device bindings for a wide variety of sensors, chips, displays and other components.
- Request a device binding or protocol that you need for your project (file an issue).
- Links to blog posts or tweets that showcase .NET Core being used for great IoT scenarios (file an issue).
After installing, please see the following areas to learn more:
- .NET IoT 101 (Jan 2020) - An introduction series on how to create .NET IoT applications with a Raspberry Pi.
- Documentation - Resources related to electronics, devices, vendors, software and other IoT topics.
- Samples - Step-by-step instructions on building your first app.
- Roadmap - Areas planned or currently being worked on.
All bindings (src/devices) contains a
samples folder where you will find examples on how to use each of the devices, sensor, displays and other components.
Important: Please make sure you are using tag that correspond to your package version to browse and reuse the samples' code.
Once you have selected the right branch, you can browse the repository. The main branch contains code that is always the latest and may not been yet released to a package. So if you are using the 1.2 package, please select 1.2 tag before browsing the source code.
.NET Core (including the iot repo) is licensed under the MIT license.