A curated list of amazingly awesome open source rails related resources inspired by Awesome PHP.
Check also: https://github.com/markets/awesome-ruby
- Awesome Rails
- Package Management
- Static Pages
- Crawlers and Scrapers
- Code Analysis
- Assets Management
- Date and Time
- Feature Toggling
- Command Line
- Text and Numbers
- Filtering and Validation
- REST and API
- Data Structure and Storage
- Third Party APIs
- Development Software
- Web Tools
Libraries for package and dependency management.
- Bundler - The best way to manage your application's dependencies.
- Bower Rails - A Bower support for Rails projects.
Libraries and tools for templating.
- Rails Composer - The Rails generator on steroids for starter apps.
- Rails Apps Composer - Build your own application template.
Tools for pre-processing content to generate web pages.
Libraries for working with HTTP.
- Faraday - flexible HTTP client library, with support for multiple backends.
- Typhoeus - wraps libcurl in order to make fast and reliable requests.
Crawlers and Scrapers
Libraries for crawling/scraping the Web.
- Wombat - Lightweight Ruby web crawler/scraper with an elegant DSL which extracts structured data from pages.
Libraries for sending and parsing email.
- MailCheck - Reduce user-misspelled email addresses in your forms.
Libraries for file manipulation and MIME type detection.
- MimeMagic - A MIME detection library.
- Exporting CSV & Excel - RailsCast.
- Sitemap Generator - A sitemap generation library.
Libraries for manipulating images.
- MiniMagick - An image manipulation library.
Libraries for testing codebases and generating test data.
- RSpec - A testing tool for the Ruby programming language.
Libraries for generating project documentation.
- SAMI - An API documentation generator.
Libraries for security, encrypting data and scanning for vulnerabilities.
- Brakeman - Static analysis security scanner for Ruby on Rails.
Libraries and tools for analysing, parsing and manipulation codebases.
Libraries and tools for Assets management.
- Non-stupid non-digest assets - compile both digest and non-digest assets in Rails 4.
Libraries and tools for ActiveRecord tweaks.
- Obfuscate ID - Make your ActiveRecord ids non-obvious.
Libraries for geocoding addresses and working with latitudes and longitudes.
- GeoKit - Geokit plugin for Rails/ActiveRecord.
- Zip Codes - Identify city and States for given Zip code
Date and Time
Libraries for working with dates and times.
Libraries that are helping to manage features.
Libraries for generating and working with log files.
Libraries for SEO.
- Meta Tags - Search Engine Optimization (SEO) plugin for Ruby on Rails applications.
- Human Power - Generate robots.txt
Libraries and software for working with PDF files.
- Prawn - A PDF generation library.
- Wicked PDF - A tool to convert HTML to PDF.
- Grimm - A tool for extracting pages from pdf as images and text as strings.
Libraries for user analytics.
- Marketable for Devise - Marketable lets Devise users easily store where your user came from and where they were going in your Rails app.
Libraries to optimize your rails application.
- Counter Culture - Turbo-charged counter caches for your Rails app.
- OJ - A fast JSON parser and Object marshaller as a Ruby gem.
Tools for production
Libraries for building command line utilities.
Libraries for implementing authentications schemes.
- Devise - Flexible authentication solution for Rails with Warden.
Libraries for implementing authorization schemes.
- Pundit - Minimal authorization through OO design and pure Ruby classes
- The Role - Authorization for Rails + GUI. Semantic, Flexible, Lightweight
- CanCanCan - CanCan is an authorization library for Ruby on Rails which restricts what resources a given user is allowed to access.
Text and Numbers
Libraries for parsing and manipulating text and numbers.
Filtering and Validation
Libraries for filtering and validating data.
- HTML5 Validator - client-side validation
REST and API
Libraries and web tools for developing REST-ful APIs.
- Apipie - API Documentation Tool
Libraries for caching data.
Data Structure and Storage
Libraries that implement data structure or storage techniques.
Libraries for working with notification software.
- Capistrano - Remote multi-server automation tool.
- Capistrano Unicorn - Unicorn tasks for Capistrano.
- Capistrano Fifty Five - recipes for use with capistrano to automate installation of a full-stack Rails environment
- Airbrussh - pretties up your SSHKit and Capistrano output
- Pinglish - A simple Rack middleware for checking application health.
Third Party APIs
Libraries for accessing third party APIs.
- Amazon Web Service SDK - The official PHP AWS SDK library.
- Stripe - The official Stripe PHP library.
- Github - A library to interface with the Github API.
- Twitter OAuth - A library to interface with Twitter's OAuth workflow.
- Twilio - The official Twilio PHP REST API.
Useful libraries or tools that don't fit in the categories above.
Software for creating a development environment.
- HomeBrew - A package manager for OSX.
- Vagrant - A portable development environment utility.
- Puppet - A server automation framework and application.
- Chef - A systems integration framework.
- Backup - A server backup tool.
Various resources, such as books, websites and articles, for improving your Rails development skills and knowledge.
Useful web and PHP-related websites and newsletters.
Fantastic books and e-books.
General web-development-related reading materials.
- C is for Cookie, H is for Hacker - An article about cookies and security.
- You Blew It Loading Your Login Form Over HTTP - An article about using HTTPS correctly with login forms.
- How HTTPS Secures Your Connection - An article explaining how TLS/SSL secures your connection.
- How to Build a Secure Remember Me Feature - An article on how to build a secure remember me feature.
- A Beginners Guide to HTTP Cache Headers - An article about HTTP cache headers.
- Beyond Series 1 2 3 4 - A series of articles about programming by Anthony Ferrara.
- Semantic Versioning - A website explaining semantic versioning.
- Atlassian Git Tutorials - A series of Git tutorials.
Rails-releated reading materials.
Please see CONTRIBUTING for details.