macOS menubar app to cast system audio to Chromecast.
Installation and usage:
- Download and install Soundflower v2.0b2 (if you have a previous version, follow these instructions to uninstall it and then install v2.0b2).
- At this point, I want to say download the newest version of Soundcaster, unzip it and drop it into your Applications folder. However, doing this, even though it’s an exact copy of what is compiled, produces an empty list of Cast devices, whereas my local copy works fine. So all I can suggest is you manually compile the app yourself :-/
- If you want it to start automatically with your computer do this.
- The first time you run it, it might say it is damaged and can't be opened. If so, you will need to run
sudo spctl --master-disable, run it, and then
sudo spctl --master-enable. You only have to do this the first time.
The app includes node_modules packaged, these are not included in the repo.
npm install will generate them. The app is built with XCode as normal.
- v2.0 [2017/01/08]: Horrified by size of app, started Cocoa version
- v1.8 [2017/01/06]: Working on my computer
- v1.x [2015/12/11]: From this version, we'll be using Github's Releases to keep track of version changes.
- v1.4 [2015/10/25]: Fixed bug that didn't allow casting to Chromecasts named using spaces.
- v1.3 [2015/10/19]: Added ability to select specific Chromecast if you have more than one. Updated module dependencies.
- v1.2 [2015/08/26]: Added OS X dark mode compatibility.
- v1.1 [2015/07/13] Added ability to be downloaded and run as an app.
- Unexpected behavior when trying to cast to a Chromecast while it's booting (or just booted). This is an issue in the
Soundcast only works on macOS, but there exists a similar app for Windows: Chromecast Audio Stream
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) 2017 Matthew Somerville
Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:
The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.