Drew M. Loewe
Associate Professor, Writing and Rhetoric, St. Edward's University
- 3001 S. Congress Ave., Austin TX 78704
- Sorin Hall 102
- drewml at stedwards dot edu
- Current Theories of Rhetoric & Composition (ENGW 4341/WRIT 4341) FA08, SP09, FA09, SP10, FA10, SP12, FA14, SP15 [2 sections], FA15, FA17, SP18, FA18
- Research and Writing-Honors Thesis Prep (HONS 4370) FA14, FA15, FA16, FA17, FA18
- Theories of Rhetoric & Composition (ENGW 3336) FA12, SP13, FA13, SP14
- Writing & Publishing on the Web (ENGW 3332) FA09, SP11
- Legal Writing (ENGW 3304/WRIT 3326) SP10, FA10, SP11, SP12, SP13, SP15, SP16, SP17, SP18
- Revising & Editing (ENGW 2326) FA16, SP17
- Analyzing Rhetoric (WRIT 2325) FA17, SP18, FA18
- Text & Discourse Analysis (ENGW 2325) FA11, SP12, FA12, SP13, FA13, SP14, FA14, FA15, SP16
- Rhetoric & Composition II–Honors (ENGW 1302) SP09, FA10, SP10, SP11
- Rhetoric & Composition II (ENGW 1302) SP09, FA09, FA12, FA13, SP14
- Rhetoric & Composition I (ENGW 1301) FA08 [2 sections], SP17
- Writing Center faculty consultant | 7 semesters (through SU18)
- Honors Thesis Advisor [Julie Arnold: “Embodied Metaphor in the Genre of Presidential Campaign Rhetoric” (SP15), Casey Cashion: "The Rhetoric of Women’s Reproductive Rights" (SP14), Bailey M. Kelsey: “More than Words: Multimodal First-Year Composition at St. Edward’s University” (FA09)]
- SOURCE Mentor [Laura Irwin: "The Popularity Contest: An Analysis of Digital Ethos" (SP18)]
Service and Administration
- Local Arrangements Committee, Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies Conference 2018 (Austin)
- Treasurer, Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies (2018-)
- Faculty Compensation Committee (to begin FA18)
- Member of Pre-law Advisory Council (began SP16)
- Member of Requirement Development Group for FYC SLOs and Writing-Rich Courses (began FA16)
- Director, St. Edward's University Writing Center (began FA11)
- Participated in ENGW/WRIT program review (all semesters from FA08 to present)
- Participated in first-year writing assessment (every SP semester since SP09)
- 4 search committees: SU18: Search for Visiting Assistant Prof in WRIT; AY14-15: Chair of Search for Professional Writing Asst. Professor; Member of two previous search committees (2010, 2012)
- Faculty Evaluation Committee (2016-2018)
- Stage I proposal reviewer for Conference on College Composition and Communication (for 2015, 2016, and 2019 CCCC)
- Faculty Senator for School of Humanities (2012-16)
- "Investing for Our Future," Student Support Services Group (2014-15)
- Academic Planning Group, Student Services Team (2013-14)
- THATCamp LAC Committee for St. Edward’s (held June 2012)
- First Year Writing Assignment Sequencing Committee (2011-12)
- NEH Office of Digital Humanities Portfolio Grant Application Team for School of Humanities (2010)
- NEH Core Humanities Initiative Grant Committee (2010)
- Faculty Advisor to Arete (2009-2013)
- Judge, DeLayne Hudspeth Award for Innovation in Teaching (2009, 2010)
- First-Year Writing Outcomes Committee (2008-2009)
- I have reviewed MS submissions and resubmissions for College Composition and Communication, College English, Composition Studies, and Present Tense. This work varies by semester and year.
Articles, Chapters, Course Design
- Clements, Amy, Drew M. Loewe, and Mary Rist. "Thriving through Disruption: Leveraging Alumni Experience to Support a Liberal Arts Writing Major." Weathering the Storm: IWPs in the Age of Fiscal Austerity, edited by Richard Matzen and Matthew Abraham. Accepted and forthcoming from Utah State University Press.
- "Course Design-Writing and Rhetoric 3326: Legal Writing." Composition Studies vol. 46, no. 1, 2018, pp. 141-65.
- Perron, John, Mary Rist, and Drew M. Loewe. "From 'Emphasis' to Fourth-Largest Major: Learning from the Past, Present, and Future of the Writing Major at St. Edward's University." Writing Majors: Eighteen Program Profiles, edited by Greg A. Giberson, Jim Nugent, and Lori Ostergaard, Utah State UP, 2015, pp. 205-17.
- Lucas, Brad E. and Drew M. Loewe. “Coordinating Citations and the Cartography of Knowledge: Finding True North in Five Scholarly Journals.” The Changing of Knowledge in Composition: Contemporary Perspectives, edited by Richard Gebhardt and Lance Massey, Utah State UP, 2011, pp. 264-82.
- “‘Where Human Relations Grandly Converge’: The Constitutional Dialectic of Hizb ut-Tahrir.” KB (Kenneth Burke Society) Journal, vol. 7, no. 2, 2011.
- “Style as a System: Toward a Cybernetic Model of Composition Style.” Refiguring Style: Possibilities for Writing Pedagogy, edited by Thomas Pace and T.R. Johnson, Utah State UP, 2005, pp. 241-55.
Co-Editor of Edited Collections
- Bad Ideas About Writing, edited by Cheryl E. Ball and Drew M. Loewe. Digital Publishing Institute, West Virginia University Libraries, 2017. (Some pieces from the collection also published on Inside Higher Ed and one on Slate).
- The Rhetoric of St. Augustine of Hippo: De Doctrina Christiana and the Search for a Distinctly Christian Rhetoric, edited by Richard Leo Enos, et. al. Baylor UP, 2008.
Refereed Presentations and Roundtables
- [Accepted] “It’s Finally All Happening! But What Now?: Lessons Learned and Things to Watch for in Revamping a Established Undergraduate Writing and Rhetoric Major." Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies Conference. Austin, TX, 2018.
- “'Mark of a Maturing Legal System' vs. 'Seat of the Pants Judgment': Dissociation of Concepts in Peña-Rodriguez v. Colorado." Rhetoric Society of America Conference. Minneapolis, MN, 2018.
- Panelist, "Why we Drive a Hybrid: the Benefits of a Writing Major Integrating Creative Writing, Professional Preparation, and Liberal Arts." Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies Conference. El Paso, TX, 2017.
- "Infographics and Bullshit." Conference on College Composition and Communication. Portland, OR, 2017.
- Panelist, "Surviving and Thriving Through Academic Program Review in the Undergraduate Writing Major." Inaugural Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies Conference. El Paso, TX, 2016.
- “Threshold Concepts for Legal Writers.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Houston,TX, 2016.
- Panelist, “Risks and Rewards in Writing Majors: a Roundtable Discussion.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Tampa, FL, 2015.
- "Weaving the Theme: John Roberts' Written Advocacy Before the Supreme Court." Rhetoric Society of America Conference. San Antonio, TX, 2014.
- "Another MOOC in the Wall, Part II: Hey, Teachers, (Don't) Leave Them Kids Alone." (Roundtable discussion) Conference on College Composition and Communication. Indianapolis, IN, 2014.
- “Creating Salience When the Stakes are High (and You’re Going to be Interrupted Soon): Lawyers’ Strategies in Supreme Court Oral Arguments, 2009-2011 Terms.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Las Vegas, NV, 2013.
- “You Don’t Have Liability for Your STRAWMAN”: Sovereign Citizens, Capitis Diminutio, and Burkean Burlesque.” Rhetoric Society of America Biennial Conference. Philadelphia, PA, 2012.
- “< Constitution > as Ideograph: What Hundreds of Glenn Beck Transcripts Can Teach Us.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Atlanta, GA, 2011.
- “‘Under Allah’s Shade and Shield, Fearing Not’: Persuasive Interactivity and Blakstone’s Muslim Hip Hop Online.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Louisville, KY, 2010.
- “Teaching Paragraphing, Punctuation, and Sentence Rhythm Through the ‘Endless Paragraph’ Activity.” Council of College Teachers of English Conference. Austin, TX, 2009.
- “Divine Substance: Non-Muslims and the Dialectic of Hizb-ut-Tahrir’s Draft Constitution for the Caliphate State.” Rhetoric Society of America Biennial Conference. Seattle, WA, 2008.
- “Taking Action in the Face of Annihilation: Burke’s Comic Circle as a Way Out of the Shared Rhetorical Topoi of Bush and bin Laden.” Conference on College Composition and Communication. New York, NY, 2007.
- “The 9/11 Commission Report: A Logological Cycle and New Connections for a New Era.” National Communication Association (Kenneth Burke Society) Conference. San Antonio, TX, 2006.
- “Redemption Cycle: A Logological Study of Jihad Unspun.com.” Rhetoric Society of America Biennial Conference. Memphis, TN, 2006.
- “What Are We Doing When We Teach and Assess Argument?” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Chicago, IL, 2006.
- “Wit and Hope.” Review of Wit’s End: Women’s Humor as Rhetorical and Performative Strategy by Sean Zwagerman, Enculturation 13, 2011.
- Review of Argumentation in Higher Education: Improving Practice Through Theory and Research by Richard Andrews. Cogency: Journal of Reasoning and Argumentation, vol. 2 no. 1, 2010, pp. 135-47.
- Review of Judging the Supreme Court: Constructions of Motives in Bush v. Gore by Clarke Rountree. KB (Kenneth Burke Society) Journal, vol. 6, no. 2, 2010.
- Review of Delivering College Composition: The Fifth Canon, ed. Kathleen Blake Yancey. Issues in Writing, vol. 18, no. 1, 2009, pp. 104-07.
- Review of Rhetoric Online: Persuasion and Politics on the World Wide Web by Barbara Warnick. Kairos: A Journal of Rhetoric, Technology, and Pedagogy,, vol, 12, no.2, 2008.
- Review of Practicing Writing: The Postwar Discourse of Freshman English by Thomas M. Masters. Composition Studies, vol. 34, no. 2, 2006.
Workshops and Panels
- Panelist, "Promotion and Tenure Resources," sponsored by St. Edward’s University Center for Teaching Excellence. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, May 2018.
- Panelist, "(Trying to) Manage Grading," sponsored by St. Edward’s University Center for Teaching Excellence. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, Feb. 2018.
- “Practical Strategies for High-Quality, Efficient Response to Student Writing.” Teaching Symposium 2017: A Conference on College Teaching. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2017.
- Panelist on Writing Centers, ACC Learning Lab Conference. Austin Community College-Eastview Campus, Austin, TX 2017.
- "Audio Comments on Student Writing: Why and How." Workshop: "Going Digital to Save Your Time and Energy." St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2017.
- "Understanding Students’ Growth through Writing Center Usage and Visit Data." Teaching Symposium 2016: A Conference on College Teaching. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2016.
- "Roundtable on Plagiarism, Academic Dishonesty, and First-Year Writing." (Panelist). St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2016.
- “Empathy for Your Readers: Writing and Revision.” Invited presentation and workshop for Texas Water Development Board. Austin, TX, 2015.
- "Teaching Writing Across Borders." (Discussion Facilitator). Interactive workshop sponsored by St. Edward’s University Center for Teaching Excellence. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, Feb. 2014.
- “Designing Effective Writing and Research Assignments.” (Panelist). Interactive workshop sponsored by St. Edward’s University Center for Teaching Excellence. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, Feb. 2013.
- “Teaching Across Cultural Differences.” (Panelist) Event sponsored by St. Edward’s University Center for Teaching Excellence. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2012.
- “Business Writing as a Practical Art.” Invited presentation and workshop for Texas Water Development Board. Austin, TX, 2012.
- “Enhancing Student Evaluation, Comprehension, and Use of Sources: an Annotated Bibliography Assignment that Really Works.” (Presentation) Teaching Symposium 2012: A Conference on College Teaching. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2012.
- (with Ryan Hoover) “Building Readability and Cohesion: Why Your Writing Assignments’ Formatting Specifications May Need to Change.” (Poster) Teaching Symposium 2012: A Conference on College Teaching. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2012.
- (with Quinn Warnick) “Fundamentals of Teaching with Social Media.” (Presentation) THATCamp Liberal Arts Colleges. St. Edward’s University, Austin, TX, 2012.
Internal Grants, Awards
- Grant for layout and proofreading of Stars Over St. Edward's: The SEU Theater Arts Program, 1962-1982 by Everett Lunning, Jr. Munday Library Archives & Special Collections (SP18)
- Scholarship, Pedagogical Innovation, and Creative Expression (SPICE) award (SP16, FA16, SP19)
- Presidential Research Grant (SU10, SU12, SU16)
- Blue and Gold Award (SP14)
- Finalist, university-wide Distinguished Teaching Award (2013-14 academic year)
- Curriculum Development Grant for SEU Folios electronic portfolio system (SU10)
- PhD in English (rhetoric and composition focus) with distinction, Texas Christian University (2009)
- M.A. in English, University of Texas at San Antonio (2004)
- J.D. cum laude, Gonzaga University School of Law (1993)
- B.A. in Philosophy, University of California at Santa Barbara (1989)
- American Society for the History of Rhetoric
- Association of Rhetoric and Writing Studies
- Legal Writing Institute
- National Council of Teachers of English
- Rhetoric Society of America
- South Central Writing Centers Association
From 1993-2002, I practiced law full-time in various firms in California and Texas, including Martindale-Hubbell “AV”-rated firms. I am admitted to the State Bars of California (active: 1993-1999; voluntarily inactive 1999-present) and Texas (active: 1999-2008; voluntarily inactive 2008-present).