Copyright © 2013 by Ignacio Sanchez
Gearsystem is a Sega Master System / Game Gear emulator written in C++ that runs on iOS, Raspberry Pi, Mac, Windows and Linux.
Follow me on Twitter for updates: http://twitter.com/drhelius
- iOS (Jailbreak): Cydia. You can open rom files from other apps like Safari or Dropbox. They can be placed in
/var/mobile/Media/ROMs/Gearsystemtoo. Save files are placed in
- iOS: Build Gearsystem with Xcode and transfer it to your device. You can open rom files from other apps like Safari or Dropbox, or use iTunes file sharing.
- Mac OS X:
brew install gearsystem
- Windows: Gearsystem-2.2-Windows.zip (NOTE: You may need to install the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable)
- Linux: Gearsystem-2.2-Linux.tar.gz
- Raspberry Pi: Build Gearsystem from sources. Optimized projects are provided for Raspberry Pi 1, 2 and 3.
- Highly accurate Z80 core, including undocumented opcodes and behaviour.
- Multi-Mapper support: SEGA, Codemasters, and ROM only cartridges.
- External RAM support with save files.
- Automatic region detection: NTSC-JAP, NTSC-USA, PAL-EUR.
- Highly accurate VDP emulation including timing and SMS2 only 224 mode support.
- Internal database for rom detection.
- Audio emulation using SDL Audio and Sms_Snd_Emu library.
- Integrated disassembler. It can dump the full disassembled memory to a text file or access it in real time.
- Compressed rom support (ZIP deflate).
- Multi platform. Runs on Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, Raspberry Pi and iOS.
- Install Xcode for Mac OS X. You need iOS SDK 8 or later.
- Build the project.
- Run it on real hardware using your iOS developer certificate. Make sure it compiles on Release for extra optimizations.
- For jailbroken devices use the jailbreak branch.
Raspberry Pi 2 & 3 - Raspbian
- Install and configure SDL 2 for development:
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get upgrade sudo apt-get install build-essential libfreeimage-dev libopenal-dev libpango1.0-dev libsndfile-dev libudev-dev libasound2-dev libjpeg-dev libtiff5-dev libwebp-dev automake cd ~ wget https://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL2-2.0.4.tar.gz tar zxvf SDL2-2.0.4.tar.gz cd SDL2-2.0.4 && mkdir build && cd build ../configure --disable-pulseaudio --disable-esd --disable-video-mir --disable-video-wayland --disable-video-x11 --disable-video-opengl --host=armv7l-raspberry-linux-gnueabihf make -j 4 sudo make install
- Install libconfig library dependencies for development:
sudo apt-get install libconfig++-dev.
make -j 4in the
platforms/raspberrypi3/Gearsystem/folder to build the project.
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER=ALSAbefore running the emulator for the best performance.
- The emulator generates a
gearsystem.cfgconfiguration for you where you can customize keyboard and gamepads. Key codes are from SDL.
- You need Visual Studio 2015.
- Install the Qt 5 Open Source SDK for Windows.
- Install the QtPackage Extension and point it to the Qt SDK.
- Open the Gearsystem Visual Studio project and build.
Mac OS X
- You need Qt Creator, included in the Qt 5 SDK.
- Install Xcode and run
xcode-select --installin the terminal for the compiler to be available on the command line.
- Install the Qt 5 SDK for Mac OS.
- Download SDL 2 source code. Then run this commands:
./configure make sudo make install
- Ubuntu or Debian:
sudo apt-get install build-essential qt5-default qttools5-dev-tools freeglut3-dev libsdl2-dev libglew-dev cd platforms/linux/Gearsystem qmake Gearsystme.pro && make
sudo dnf install qt5-devel freeglut-devel SDL2-devel glew-devel cd platforms/linux/Gearsystem qmake-qt5 Gearsystem.pro && make
Zexall Z80 instruction exerciser (from SMS Power!)
Gearsystem passes all tests in Zexall, including undocumented instructions and behaviours.
SMS VDP Test (from SMS Power!)
Gearsystem - Sega Master System / Game Gear Emulator
Copyright (C) 2013 Ignacio Sanchez
This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or any later version.
This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details.
You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program. If not, see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/