Crash OS is a small experimental operating system that is supposed to grow over the next few months. It will hopefully stick to the POSIX standard in the end and largely be based on Tanenbaums Operating Systems: Design And Implementation.
Currently there is a bootloader existing that displays a small message. I wrote a C program that creates a bootable image file as well (the same could have been achieved by using the 'dd' command but I wanted to learn more C anyway).
How to install
- You will need a *nix system with NASM and GCC
- VirtualBox or a real floppy disk (hrhr) for testing
- Download the code.
- Execute 'make clean' and 'make' in the code folder (yeah, I committed the executable files as well, this was no accident).
- Run './write' to create a bootable image file.
- Get VirtualBox.
- Create a new virtual machine (hard drive doesn't matter).
- Go to Settings > Storage and add a Floppy Controller.
- Add the boot.img as a disk.
- Sart the VM and enjoy the small OS.