Join GitHub today
GitHub is home to over 28 million developers working together to host and review code, manage projects, and build software together.Sign up
Kubernetes next steps
I read the basics tutorial, so I have now some exposure to:
- Kubernetes concepts (masters, nodes, pods, containers, deployments, services).
- Kubernetes commands with kubectl
I tried to skip ahead to the cluster admin guide and understand what my stack would actually look like if I were to deploy to cloud, VMware or bare metal. I'm clearly not ready for that yet.
Actual next steps:
- Package a single-container app and publish it to Dockerhub. Probably Flask running straight against Python. Once I'm ready to get fancy, add nginx or something else in front to serve static files.
- I've only use the browser-based minikube cluster. Try actually running minikube on my desktop.
- Read more. Read the other 4 tutorials (past basics) and take notes, or start reading the user guide.
- Build a "real" cluster from scratch. Start with 4 VirtualBox linked clones of a CentOS 7 base image, each with a bridged adapter and an IP on my home LAN. Set up these servers: kubectl01, kubemaster01, kubenode01, kubenode02. Control box will be used to SSH to the other boxes, and to run kubectl and any other setup/management tools. Document the process: Building a Kubernetes cluster from scratch with VirtualBox and CentOS 7.