A Full-Featured Open-Source Framework for Image Processing
G'MIC is a full-featured open-source framework for image processing, distributed under the CeCILL license (GPL compatible). It provides several different user interfaces to convert/manipulate/filter/visualize generic image datasets, ranging from 1d scalar signals to 3d+t sequences of multi-spectral volumetric images, thus including 2d color images. These user interfaces are:
- 1 - A command-line interface gmic, to use the G'MIC image processing features from a shell. In this setting, G'MIC may be seen as a friendly companion to the ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick software suites.
- 2 - A small, portable, thread-safe and multi-threaded C++ image processing library libgmic, to be linked to third-party applications. Its simple API allows programmers to add all G'MIC features in their own software without much efforts (a C API is provided as well).
- 3 - A plug-in gmic_gimp, to bring G'MIC capabilities to the image retouching software GIMP. More than 450 filters are already available, sorted by category (Artistic, Black & white, Colors, Contours, Deformations, Degradations, Details, Film emulation, Frames, Layers, Light & shadows, Patterns, Rendering, Repair, Sequences, etc.).
- 4 - A web service G'MIC Online, to allow users applying image processing algorithms on their images, directly from a web browser.
- 5 - A Qt-based interface ZArt, for real-time processing of video streaming coming from webcams or video files.
Other open-source projects are known to use some of the G'MIC features:
- EKD, a free software dedicated to post-production processing for videos and images.
- Flowblade, a multitrack non-linear video editor for Linux released under GPL 3 license.
- Krita, a free digital painting and illustration application. Krita has its own G'MIC plug-in.
- Photoflow, a fully non-destructive photo retouching program.
- Veejay, a visual instrument and realtime video sampler.
Purchasing proprietary licenses for using G'MIC in closed-source applications is possible. Contact us if you are interested in getting one.