Webamp on desktop
Just like the original, now on your Mac, Windows or a Linux!
Head over to the desktop.webamp.org for the latest download files for your platform.
Ideas for the future
- "Media Keys" support (Play, Pause, Stop, Previous, Next) via Media Transport Controls on Windows, MPRemoteCommandCenter on Mac and D-BUS on Linux - inspiration from electron-media-service
- Implement Taskbar media control buttons
- Milkdrop visualizer
- Persisting state of the player
- Support for multiple displays
- Automatic updates (prepared, notifications already done)
- Support file associations
Nice to have / Experiments
- Features that can't be in the web version (by extending the API)
- Try to integrate Spotify (inspiration from winampify-js?), milkdrop can be integrated using microphone (?) due to problems with the DRM
Installation files are not trusted
Some operating systems, especially Windows or some browsers do not trust the installation files because they are not digitally signed and/or commonly used yet. Unfortunately, code signing certificates that would help us overcome this cost hundreds of euro per year. This project does not have any funding and therefore can't afford it. It's recommended to verify the checksum of the files if you are worried. Every commit (and therefore published checksum) is signed in this repository.
Poor performance on Linux
Caused by the disabled hardware acceleration on the Linux. The reason is issues with the transparency on the Chromium project.
Clone this repository, install dependencies and run the start script:
git clone https://github.com/durasj/webamp-desktop.git cd webamp-desktop yarn install yarn start
After the build has completed, you should see one window with the app and one with developer tools. To try some changes, you can: change the code in the
./src dir, close the current window and run the
yarn start again.
Thumbar icons on Windows by Smashicons.
Not affiliated with the Winamp. All product names, logos, and brands are property of their respective owners.