Simple app to:
- See who is blogging at svbtle.com
- See who you aren't following via RSS already
I wanted to subscribe to all the awesome content on the svtble blogging network. However, they don't provide a master feed and new people seem to be added daily.
I was tired of manually searching through the list and seeing if my RSS reader had all the writer's feeds added.
This application is double threat. It has a cli and web interface. Thus, the requirements are broken up accordingly. Use whichever you are interested in or run 'make all' to install it all.
1. Get Code - git clone git://github.com/durden/svbtle_subscriber.git 2. Install requirements (only one of these is required) - pip install -r cli_requirements.txt OR make cli - pip install -r web_requirements.txt OR make web - make all
** Note that requirements.txt exists and is a copy of web_requirements.txt. ** This is requirement for hosting at heroku, which mandates that Python applications have their requirements in a file called requirements.txt.
3. Install svbtle_subscriber (optional) - pip install .
If you didn't install the module with the above 'pip install' line then you will have to make the script executable or run it with python directly such as:
- python svbtle_subscriber.py
This will output the list of writers, their homepage, and feed url (comma separated, one per line) so you can pipe it to any script that you want for processing.
svbtle_subscriber.py -x [google_reader_subscriptions.xml]
This will show you who you aren't following yet from all the current bloggers on svbtle.com.
Browse to 127.0.0.1:5000
To deploy to heroku:
- heroku create --stack cedar
- heroku addons:add shared-database
- heroku addons:add scheduler:standard
- git push heroku master
The following workers/one-off processes are available for creating and populating your database:
- heroku run db_worker --init
- heroku run db_worker --update
- heroku run db_worker --drop
- Error handling (too big of file, not xml file, unparseable, etc.)
- Add debug mode for running web locally with sqlite or no db at all.
- Remove file upload and just let user login and hit the url