This repo contains an example set of Terraform modules, Lambda scripts, Packer templates, Ansible Playbooks and Puppet manifests that provision and configure a set of machines in AWS. It's designed to help coders get started in DevOps.
This repo is designed to be a simple starting point for infrastructure-as-code projects. Invariably, you'll need some tools to build that infrastructure and credentials to secure access to it. The setup of both is described here:
- Getting set up guide [.md] - how to set up your environment for instantiating infrastructure using the code in this repo
If you've used the default key name and path (described above), then to see what terraform plans to build out in the default region (eu-west-2):
If it seems sensible, apply it:
Look at what you've created in the AWS console!
Most important of all while developing IAC, clear it up afterwards:
Also be aware that while
terraform destroy will remove all the instantiated hosts/security groups/subnets/VPCs etc., it will not remove everything. You'll need to use the AWS console to manually deregister/delete:
- Volumes belonging to hosts instantiated by Terraform
- After multiple terraform-plan-apply-destroy cycles, you can easily accumulate a few dozen volumes. These will persist (at a cost) unless explicitly removed.
- AMIs produced by Packer
- Also the Snapshots that Packer produces as an intermediate file.
This repo is organised at the top-level by technology.
- /bin - a few scripts to hold useful commands for reference
- /docs - markdown-formatted documents describing the examples in this repo
Image creation and orchestration
- /packer - a set of Packer templates
centos_updates.json- create updated AMI image based on CentOS 7 (cross-region)
remote_provisioning.json- create AMI image based on CentOS 7, including this repo with all pre-requisites installed
- /ansible - an ansible control folder (
/etc/ansible) containing an array of playbooks and roles
- /puppet - a Puppet control folder (
/etc/puppet) containing an array of environments and modules
- modules - community modules
- /terraform - a collection of modules to provision machines, linked from single root module main.tf.
- ansible - a terraform module to set up a generic host and invoke ansible on it locally
- aws_background - a terraform module to set up a basic AWS environment
- janitor - a terraform module to start/stop instances based on their tags
- pack_amis - a terraform module to invoke packer
- packer - a terraform module to instantiate a host from a packed machine image
- puppetmless - a terraform module to set up a generic host and invoke puppet apply on it locally
- puppetmastered - a terraform module to set up a generic host, connect it to a puppetmaster and set up a puppet agent for repeat runs
To run the integration test suite in /tests/awspec, you need install the gems
The test run command is as simple as
bundle exec rake spec after a successful
terraform apply, but you need explicitly set the region environment variable:
AWS_DEFAULT_REGION="eu-west-2" bundle exec rake spec
All hosts are built with SELinux enabled (enforcing).
We've taken the same simple approach to documentation. It's all in markdown-formatted .md files, linked directly from this README.md.
- Getting set up [.md] - guide to setting up your terraform machine (local or remote)
- Complete: Provisioned environment [.md] - details of all the hosts created by workstream
- Credits [.md] - loads of people have helped pull this together and refine it