A Slack protocol plugin for libpurple IM clients.
Here's how slack concepts are mapped to purple:
- Your "open" channels (on the slack bar) are mapped to the buddy list: joining a channel is equivalent to creating a buddy
- Which conversations are open in purple is up to you, and has no effect on slack... (how to deal with activity in open channels with no conversation?)
- For bitlbee IRC connections, Slack channels are "chat channels" that can be added to your configuration with "
chat add <account id> #<channel>"
- TBD... feedback welcome
- Install libpurple (pidgin, finch, etc.), including necessary development components on binary distros (
sudo make installor
- Issue a Slack API token for yourself
- Add your slack account to your libpurple program and enter this token under (Advanced) API token (do not enter your slack password; username/hostname are optional but can be set to
If you're using a front-end (like Adium or Spectrum2) that does not let you set the API token, you can enter your token as the account password instead.
@EionRobb is kindly providing windows builds here.