Conference call notes 20160525
(back to Conference calls)
Notes on the 52nd EasyBuild conference call, Wednesday May 28th 2016 (5pm - 5.30pm CEST)
Alphabetical list of attendees (6):
- Damian Alvarez Mallon (JSC, Germany)
- Pablo Escobar (sciCORE, UniBas)
- Fotis Georgatos (Illumina, UK)
- Kenneth Hoste (HPC-UGent)
- Adam Huffman (Francis Crick Institute, UK)
- Alan O'Cais (JSC, Germany)
- EasyBuild v2.8.1 bugfix release
- brainstorm on backwards incompatible changes for EasyBuild v3.0
- bugfix release: https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/issues/1775
- maybe also https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-easyblocks/issues/933, not clear yet whether that's a bug
v2.9 end of June'16
- will include whatever is ready by then
- intention is to include 2016b toolchains (discussion to be opened soon on mailing list)
- 1k (10^3) supported software packages!
- Lmod by default, with Lua module files?
- already used in production in JSC
- issue with footer in older versions of Lmod (bump req version?)
- easyconfigs for Lmod use non-dummy toolchain?
- Lua isn't statically linked?
- include installation of Lmod/Lua in bootstrap?
- easyconfigs may have Tcl code embedded
- --minimal-toolchains by default (docs: http://easybuild.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Manipulating_dependencies.html#using-minimal-toolchains-for-dependencies)
- used in production @ JSC
- Alan: may cause problems in combination with a hierarchy
- module names are not unique, two diff toolchains may yield same module location
- easyconfig dumped in repo may contain something wrong
- mostly a matter of clearly documenting this
- no problem in clean module tree
- zipped log files in installdir (by default)
- some log files are massive (cfr. https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/issues/1094)
- stable .yeb support
- fat easyconfigs...
- support for RPATH linking (default?)
- probably not enough time for thorough testing by EB v3.0 to make it default...
- drop old/inactive toolchains: iqacml, goalf, ictce
- 'archive' easyconfigs .archive, throw big fat warning when they're used
- what about other easyconfigs, like CMake with intel toolchains
- robot enabled by default? or at least better error message for missing deps (mention if easyconfig is found)
- Pablo: commonly done by other tools: yum, brew, ...
- ask for confirmation, cfr. yum?
- devel vs debug logging
- log.devel, --devel
- --debug by default?
- also copy patch files, easyblock(s) into install dir?
- rather than only the the easyconfig
- add checksums on sources/patches in archived easyconfig
- $INTEL_LICENSE_FILE & $LM_LICENSE_FILE are considered after license_file easyconfig parameter
- better control over versions of dependencies
- use a single version for a particular dependency, rather than multiple
- eb --change-deps=CMake@latest
- support for picking last known version of all deps
- e.g. fix freetype version across stack
- similar to --try-toolchain: generate easyconfigs with new dep versions, ask confirmation
- easy way to bumping extension versions using 'eb'
- eb --try-update-version to bump software versions
- like Spack supports
- Singularity support
- needs a testcase to supply?
- Fotis: latest Intel toolchain 'just works' intel/2016.03-GCC-5.3
- good candidate intel/2016b
- mention of EasyBuild in HPC-SIG UK mailing list