React.js Google Books Search API
This React-based Google Books Search app allows you search for books by keywords (authors, title, etc) and return the results from the Google Books API. The list of book results provides pertainent information and will allow you click on a link to view the Google Books website for that specific book, click on View button to view a sample preview of that book, as well as click on the can Save button to save the book to review or purchase later (in the saved books page).
The app is deployed live on Heroku using mLabDB, but you can clone or download the code from GitHub to run the server codes on your localhost. In the terminal command, just make sure you change the directory to the root folder and first run
npm install to load the required node modules from the package.json, then sure your MongoDB is running by typing in
mongod, and finally type
npm start to run React on localhost:3000.
Built with or topics covered
- MERN stack:
- Create React App
- Node Package Manager (npm)
- Heroku deployment
- mLab MongoDB - cloud database service that hosts MongoDB databases on Heroku
- [express] (https://www.npmjs.com/package/express) - fast, unopinionated, minimalist web framework for node.
- [mongoose] (https://www.npmjs.com/package/mongoose) - a MongoDB object modeling tool designed to work in an asynchronous environment.
- [axios] (https://www.npmjs.com/package/axios) - Promise based HTTP client for the browser and node.js.
- [react-router-dom] (https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-router-dom) - DOM bindings for React Router.
- [react-scripts] (https://www.npmjs.com/package/react-scripts) - package includes scripts and configuration used by Create React App.
Click on the deployed app! https://react-books-search.herokuapp.com/
Click on the GitHub link to view code! https://github.com/echiang73/Google_Books_Search