A musical information Kiosk powered by The Echo Nest from 1984 to run on your Apple //c. It will only show information about bands from 1984 or before.
- Get an Apple //c, a USB-serial adaptor, and an Apple //c serial cable, floppy with ATD Pro on it and two blank floppies from Retrofloppy
- Install Modem MGR using ATD Pro on the two blank floppies.
- Read this guide to set up Modem MGR for vt220, 1200 baud 8n1
- Turn on the //c with the Modem MGR program disk in. Hit Esc, then colon, then a V for VT220.
On your mac or linux box, hook up the USB serial adaptor, install the drivers, open an 80x24 terminal window and run
screen /dev/tty.usbserial 1200 (Note that your tty might be named something else depending on device, like /dev/tty.PL2303)
Now hit control-A, then a colon, then type
exec ::: /usr/libexec/getty std.1200
- The Apple //c should show your login for your computer. Type your password, etc from your //c.
- Run python kiosk.py for "interactive" mode and python kiosk.py auto for an auto slideshow mode of artists.
Remember to change _THE_YEAR_IS if you don't like 1984.