Tap into The Echo Nest's Musical Brain for the best music search, information, recommendations and remix tools on the web.
Pyechonest is an open source Python library for the Echo Nest API. With Pyechonest you have Python access to the entire set of API methods including:
- artist - search for artists by name, description, or attribute, and get back detailed information about any artist including audio, similar artists, blogs, familiarity, hotttnesss, news, reviews, urls and video.
- song - search songs by artist, title, description, or attribute (tempo, duration, etc) and get detailed information back about each song, such as hotttnesss, audio_summary, or tracks.
- track - upload a track to the Echo Nest and receive summary information about the track including key, duration, mode, tempo, time signature along with detailed track info including timbre, pitch, rhythm and loudness information.
There are a few different ways you can install pyechonest:
- Use setuptools:
easy_install -U pyechonest
- Download the zipfile from the releases page and install it.
- Checkout the source:
git clone git://github.com/echonest/pyechonest.gitand install it yourself.
- Install Pyechonest
- Get an API key - to use the Echo Nest API you need an Echo Nest API key. You can get one for free at developer.echonest.com.
- Set the API key - you can do this one of two ways:
- set an environment variable named
ECHO_NEST_API_KEYto your API key
- Include this snippet of code at the beginning of your python scripts:
from pyechonest import config config.ECHO_NEST_API_KEY="YOUR API KEY"
- Check out the docs and examples below.
All examples assume you have already setup your api key!
Find artists that are similar to 'Bikini Kill':
from pyechonest import artist bk = artist.Artist('bikini kill') print "Artists similar to: %s:" % (bk.name,) for similar_artist in bk.similar: print "\t%s" % (similar_artist.name,)
Search for artist:
from pyechonest import artist weezer_results = artist.search(name='weezer') weezer = weezer_results weezer_blogs = weezer.blogs print 'Blogs about weezer:', [blog.get('url') for blog in weezer_blogs]
Get an artist by name:
from pyechonest import artist a = artist.Artist('lady gaga') print a.id
Get an artist by Musicbrainz ID:
from pyechonest import artist a = artist.Artist('musicbrainz:artist:a74b1b7f-71a5-4011-9441-d0b5e4122711') print a.name
Get the top hottt artists:
from pyechonest import artist for hottt_artist in artist.top_hottt(): print hottt_artist.name, hottt_artist.hotttnesss
Search for songs:
from pyechonest import song rkp_results = song.search(artist='radiohead', title='karma police') karma_police = rkp_results print karma_police.artist_location print 'tempo:',karma_police.audio_summary['tempo'],'duration:',karma_police.audio_summary['duration']
Get a song's audio_url and analysis_url:
from pyechonest import song ss_results = song.search(artist='the national', title='slow show', buckets=['id:7digital-US', 'tracks'], limit=True) slow_show = ss_results ss_tracks = slow_show.get_tracks('7digital-US') print ss_tracks.get('preview_url')