About Robot Wall
Robot Wall is an LED sign that displays weather, date and countdown information with the help of a Raspberry Pi running Node.js. I wanted to have a display that would quickly tell me the information I need to know as I head out the door (without having to fumble with an app using my phone).
Now I will never forget birthdays, and I know I need to bring an umbrella today! Thanks, Robot Wall! I chose the weather information (low/high) to be displayed in both Celsius and Fahrenheit since I refuse to use Fahrenheit and Andie refuses to use Celsius. :)
How It Works
Using pshved's Perl wrapper, the message to be displayed is converted into its corresponding glyphs of 0's/1's to inform each LED of the sign to be on/off. The glyphs are flattened into a string to be passed in as serial port data. For example, "Hello World" with each word on its own line looks like this:
0000000000000000000000000000000000010001000000010100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000010001000000010100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000010001001110010100111000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000011111010001010101000100000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000010001011111010101000100000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000010001010000010101000100000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000010001001110010100111000000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000100010000000000001000001000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000100010000000000001000001000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000100010011100111001001111000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000101010100010100101010001000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000101010100010100001010001000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000110110100010100001010001000000000000000000000000000000000000 0000000000000000000000000000000000100010011100100001001111000000000000000000000000000000000000
If you squint, you can kinda see it. :)
- Set up your Raspberry Pi with all of the standard configurations.
- Ensure you have Node.js installed.
- Clone a local version of this repo. In your command line:
cd [your RobotWall directory] npm install npm start
- Check that you have the right driver installed for your sign:
- Check that lowlevel.pl is referencing the right serial port directory:
- It might be nice in the future to build a web interface that could make it significantly easier to manage the content that is displayed on the screen.
- Storing data in a text file is a very hacky approach. I didn't need a database for such small pieces of information that didn't need to be stored for more than a few minutes, but it's definitely not good practice for a real application.
This code is dedicated to the love of my life, Andie, who also came up with the name for this project. Thank you for inspiring me to build technical skills while making our home a more welcoming place.
The MIT License (MIT). Copyright (c) 2015 Eden Full.