This is a work-in-progress demo: submitdata.surge.sh
Submit data to a JSON file via a form using the GitHub API
It's useful to keep small datasets in GitHub repositories, particularly for projects that are more content-focused like maps and data visualizations that are hosted on gh-pages.
It would be very useful to provide a page where users can log in with the GitHub API, fill out a form, and have the fields appended to a JSON file that is an array of objects.
That's what this project will provide.
What does it do?
- A user logs in via GitHub on the site.
- They fill out the form with the fields you have specified.
- This project does the following actions:
- creates a fork on the user's account if it doesn't exist already
- creates a branch for their changes
- creates a commit adding an object to the JSON file you specified
- creates a pull request back to the source repository
The next stage for this project is to make it reusable, so that you can provide a similar form in your gh-pages hosted repositories.
Similar functionality will also be added to the editdata.org project.