Multi-platform, multi-protocol, and plugin-based, instant messenger with a Gtk+ 2 GUI or a console UI!
EKG2 is an open source IM application for Unix systems (Linux, *BSD, SunOS, Solaris, Mac OS X, BeOS) available under the terms of the GPL.
EKG2 is plugin-based, and because of this, it can support many different protocols. It can also support different GUIs! Below is a list of available plugins.
- Jabber - (XMPP, GTalk and Tlen.pl support),
- GG (gadu-gadu) - (using libgadu, the most popular polish IM protocol),
- IRC - (mostly IRCnet-oriented),
- Gtk+ 2.x - under development.
- ncurses - primary EKG2 user-interface, console
- logs - a multi-functionality plugin that allows logging in irssi-like format, in XML, in a simple format and in a raw format.
- logsqlite - logging into a SQLite database.
Scripting languages bindings: Python, Perl
Other superb plugins:
- autoresponder - a simple captcha for IM
- sim (using OpenSSL) & gpg - these plugins allow encryption within supported protocols
- jogger - allows manipulation of JoggerBot via ekg2
- mail - checking local maildir/mailbox for new messages
- nntp - read Usenet news
- rss - read RSS/Atom feeds
- sms - sms sending
There are also a few other plugins in development.