pylibmc is a Python wrapper around the accompanying C Python extension _pylibmc, which is a wrapper around libmemcached from TangentOrg.
You have to install libmemcached separately, and have your compiler and linker find the include files and libraries.
With libmemcached installed and this package set up, the following basic usage example should work:
>>> import pylibmc >>> mc = pylibmc.Client(["127.0.0.1:11211"]) >>> mc.set("foo", "Hello world!") True >>> mc.get("foo") 'Hello world!'
The API is pretty much python-memcached. Some parts of libmemcached aren't exposed yet. I think.
libmemcached has ways of telling it how to behave. You'll have to refer to its documentation on what the different behaviors do.
To change behaviors, quite simply:
>>> mc.behaviors["hash"] = "fnv1a_32"
For a list of the defined behavior key names, see what the keys of a client is. For example:
>>> mc.behaviors.keys() # doctest: +NORMALIZE_WHITESPACE ['hash', 'connect timeout', 'cache lookups', 'buffer requests', 'verify key', 'support cas', 'poll timeout', 'no block', 'tcp nodelay', 'distribution', 'sort hosts']
distribution keys are mapped by the Python module to constant
integer values used by libmemcached. See
Comparison to other libraries
Why use pylibmc? Because it's fast.
Compiling on Snow Leopard
Since, for some reason, compiling Python extensions under Mac OS X 10.6 won't
use the proper
-arch flag to
gcc, here's how you'd do it:
$ CFLAGS="-arch x86_64" LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64" python setup.py build
New in version 0.7
- Restructured some of the code, which should yield better performance (if not for that, it reads better.)
- Fixed some memory leaks.
- Integrated changes from amix.dk, which should make pylibmc work under Snow Leopard.
- Add support for the boolean datatype.
- Improved test-runner -- now tests
build/lib.*/_pylibmc.soif available, and reports some version information.
- Support for x86_64 should now work completely.
- Builds with Python 2.4, tests run fine, but not officially supported.
- Fixed critical bugs in behavior manipulation.
New in version 0.6
- Added compatibility with libmemcached 0.26, WRT error return codes.
- Added flush_all and disconnect_all methods.
- Now using the latest pickling protocol.
New in version 0.5
- Fixed lots of memory leaks, and added support for libmemcached 0.23.
- Also made the code tighter in terms of compiler pedantics.
New in version 0.4
- Renamed the C module to _pylibmc, and added lots of libmemcached constants to it, as well as implemented behaviors.