Are you spending too much time on feeds? Ever found yourself entranced by the time-sucking, endless Facebook News Feed, wasting valuable time on distractions?
FeedBlocker is an Android app for rooted devices that limits your feed browsing time by displaying a friendly reminder to close the feed and do something productive for a change, after a configurable amount of time has passed.
This app requires root permissions for the following reasons:
- To read the device logcat (in order to identify feed open/close events)
- To close the feed activity (after a friendly reminder is displayed and you agree to close the feed)
- Android Build Tools 23.0.2
- Android API 23 SDK Platform
- Android Studio with Gradle Plugin
- Android Device with Android 2.3 or newer
Currently, FeedBlocker is not available on Google Play due to a possible Terms of Service incompatibility. But no matter, you can manually compile and run the app yourself, which is more fun anyway!
- Clone the project locally -
git clone https://github.com/eladnava/feedblocker-android.git
- Open it in Android Studio
- Connect your device
- Build and run the app
- Grant root access
That's it - FeedBlocker will activate automatically by displaying a popup over the feed when time runs out!
Currently, only the Facebook feed is supported. However, it's relatively easy to support other feeds - create an issue and we'll discuss it!
- If you find a bug or wish to make some kind of change, please create an issue first
- Make your commits as tiny as possible - one feature or bugfix at a time
- Write detailed commit messages, in-line with the project's commit naming conventions
- Make sure your code conventions are in-line with the project