Hot Chocolate for the Busy
I used to think that the only way to heat milk properly for preparing hot chocolate was by using a saucepan. I eventually decided to experiment with a microwave oven. Here are the results.
What you'll need:
- a microwave oven
- two mugs
- your favorite hot chocolate powder -- I'm partial myself to Poulain's 1848 brand
- pour cold milk into one of the mugs, up to 3/4th capacity
- heat in your microwave oven at maximum power for 2 mins (at 900W) -- it will boil, but not spill over
- in the meantime, put two generous spoons of your chocolate powder in the other mug
- add a little cold milk and stir vigorously -- it should become barely liquid (if in doubt, add a little more cold milk)
- pour the hot milk in the mug containing the hot chocolate; no need to stir
Using mugs to prepare hot chocolate makes it a lot less messy compared to saucepans where the milk always seem to stick no matter how careful I am. Mixing cold chocolate with hot milk tend to produce pleasant-looking swirls in the resulting drink. Finally, mixing the powder with a little milk makes it a lot easier to mix with the rest of the milk.