Elexis 3 Core Repository
IMPORTANT Please employ the Eclipse_builtin.xml as Eclipse default formatter prior to development and pull requests. It only deviation to the Eclipse 21-12 builtin formatter is the use of tabs instead of spaces to indent.
Install latest build
Go to Jenkins-CI Builds.
Download and unzip the zip file for your machine. An JRE 11 is bundled with the product.
Start the Elexis3 application.
Use Help..Install New Software to add the desired features from the elexis-3-base P2 repository.
Maven based build
You need Java 1.11. Maven >= 3.6. On Debian 10 (buster) install adoptopenjdk-11-hotspot. Then you should be able to generate the application and p2 update site using the following calls:
git clone https://github.com/elexis/elexis-3-core
mvn -V clean verify -Dtycho.localArtifacts=ignore -DskipTests
Explanation of the used options
- -V: emits version of Java, Maven, GUI-Toolkit, Architecture. Handy when you ask a problem
- clean: Build everything from scratch
- verify: Compile, test and build a P2-site including products. But does NOT install maven artefacts
- -Dtycho.localArtifacts=ignore: Do not use any locally built maven artefacts
- -DskipTests: Skip unit tests (Use it only if you want to speed up the build)
- ---quiet: Used for travis builds to generate Quiet output - only show errors. Without it the log would bee too long and make the travis-build fail.
- If the environment variable MATERIALIZE_PRODUCTS is set to false, no zip files for all products will be produced, which speeds up the build
It will be built for your OS/Window-System/Architecture combination. You
will find the executables under
Note: This will fail in MacOSX. Build instructions for Mac:
brew install homebrew/versions/maven30
git clone https://github.com/elexis/elexis-3-core
mvn clean install -DskipTests
Continuos Intergration builds
Medelexis sponsored a gitlab runner for the continuos integrations build. The status can be seen under Build status of master branch
The downloads produced by these runs can found under http://download.elexis.info/elexis/
Building via Eclipse IDE
If you want a complete development environment, try Oomph
This is the recommended (and the only supported) setup of an development environment for Elexis developers.
We recommend (and if you want to submit patches, you have to respect) the following settings in the Eclipse IDE, reachabel via Window..Preferences:
- Select UTF-8 as "Textfile encoding"
- Select UNIX as "New text file line delimiter"
- Java..Code Style..Formatter
- Click on "Import.." and select the Elexis_formatter_2022_03.xml from the root directory of the elexis-3-core checkout
- Java..Code Style..Formatter and select as active profile "Eclipse [built-in]
- Java..Editor..Save Action
- Select: Perform the selected actions on save
- Select: Format source code and Format edited lines
- Select: Organize imports
- Do NOT select: Additional actions
- Set "Plugin execution not covered by lifecycle configuration" to "Ignore"
In March 2022 we decided to drop our custom
3lexisFormatterProfile in favor
of the Eclipse built-in. This works better for newer Java features like annotations.
Also the line length increases from 100 to 120 chars, as we assume that few of
our developers still use VT-80 terminals.
To ensure a consistent look, we use the this pre-commit framework. For details have look at the .pre-commit-config.yaml
To use it, install the pre-commit framework, either via your distribution or via
pip install pre-commit.
Under Debian run
apt install pre-commit. The call once
pre-commit install to activate the pre-commit
trigger for git. This is not mandatory, as for pull requests this is action runs automatically.
The different parts can be run on the command line, eg.
- For all files
pre-commit run --all-files file-contents-sorter
- For a single file
pre-commit run file-contents-sorter --files 'bundles/ch.elexis.core/src/ch/elexis/core/model/ch/messages_it.properties
You will see and output like
File Contents Sorter.....................................................Failed - hook id: file-contents-sorter - exit code: 1 - files were modified by this hook Sorting bundles/ch.elexis.core/src/ch/elexis/core/model/ch/messages_it.properties
At the moment we use the following hooks:
As the enforce-eclipse-format takes a long time (over 60 seconds on my machine) it is only called manually and as a github action on pull-requests. To run it call:
pre-commit run --hook-stage manual enforce-eclipse-format --show-diff-on-failure --all-files
Creating a custom config file is explained here
To submit patches you have to
- Fork our github repository to your personal account
- Clone this repository on your devevelopment machine
- Create a new branch (eg.
git checkout -b my_branch)
- Commit your change (eg. `git commmit -m "My cool changes")
- Push it to your account (eg. `git push ---set-upstream origin my_branch@)
- Go to your github repository and create a pull requests by clicking on the greeen button "Compare & pull request"
- Review your changes. There should be only the lines that contribute to the problem. If you have too many changes look at the remarks about Eclipse IDE-Preferences
This repository hosts the core Elexis 3. It consists of the following plug-ins and features:
ch.rgw.utilityUtilities required to drive Elexis.
ch.elexis.coreCore concepts and interface definitions.
ch.elexis.core.dataCore persistence and functionality packages and classes.
ch.elexis.core.console.applicationHeadless Elexis application.
ch.elexis.core.uiUser Interface dependent portions. Dependent on Eclipse RCP 3.x.
ch.elexis.core.applicationCore UI Elexis Application.
ch.elexis.core.relengRelease Engineering specific parts (Build Target, 3rd party ...)
ch.elexis.core.loggingPlug-In for starting ch.qos.logback logging (via slf4j interface)
ch.elexis.core.logging.featureFeature for logging and Felix-gogo console
ch.elexis.core.logging.default_configurationDefault logging configuration (logback.xml)
ch.elexis.core.ui.iconsPlug-In for central icon management.
ch.elexis.core.ui.contactsPlug-In for contact management.
ch.elexis.core.ui.laboratoryPlug-In for laboratory related tasks.
ch.elexis.core.ui.p2Plug-In to realize client side p2 update tasks
ch.elexis.core.common.featureHeadless Core Feature.
ch.elexis.core.ui.featureCore UI Feature.
ch.elexis.core.application.featureCore Application Feature.
For details about the resp. plug-ins/features switch to the respective
directory. The plug-ins and features
are contained and inter-dependent as follows:
Guidelines for developing a new plugin/feature
New plugins and features should follow the E4 (eclipse 4) guideline. A good tutorial is from Lars Vogel
The ch.elexis.core.ui.tasks follows new e4 implementation rules. Analyse its working and adapt it to your problem.
Elexis uses Javadoc to documents its API interface. The Eclipse IDE offers built-in support for reading the javadoc for a given method or class and provides also helper to generate it.
This is accomplished by calling
mvn -DforceContextQualifier=javadoc javadoc:javadoc. It generates a
complete javadoc. The generated output can be search at
Even when theses javadoc are not used often, they provide a convenient way to get an overview over methods, packages, etc.
Check whether Javadocs are correctly generated
We use checkstyle to generate Javadoc. Use the following command line:
mvn checkstyle:checkstyle-aggregate site:site
This generates an browsable HTML file
target/site/index.html. The links to the
modules do not work, unless you call afterwards
ch.elexis.core.releng/cleanup_after_checkstyle.rb, a small ruby script
which generates a few missing links (not supported on Windows).
It uses the rules defined in
generate warnings for missing Javadoc. For each project, there exists an
error report. E.g
An aggregated, overall statistics can be found under
If you want to add even more checks, look at ch.elexis.core.releng/checkstyle_full.xml. Adding new checks should be discussed on the developers mailing list.
Updating all versions for a newer ID
We do this for all new major version, eg. 3.9 -> 3.10. See also http://www.mojohaus.org/versions-maven-plugin/usage.html
Steps to follow are:
Update the version in master pom.xml
mvn org.eclipse.tycho:tycho-versions-plugin:set-version -DnewVersion=3.10.0-SNAPSHOT
grep --files-with-match 3.9.0 bundles/*/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF | xargs sed -i 's/3.9.0/3.10.0/g'
Test and check whether the old version number is still present in other files.
Localisation / translation
We are in a transition phase to use trema and support french and italien versions of elexis. For details see l10n.md