Linux port of FAR Manager v2 (http://farmanager.com/)
Works also on OSX/MacOS and BSD (but later not tested on regular manner)
Currently interesting only for enthusiasts!!!
Plug-ins that are currently working: NetRocks (SFTP/SCP/FTP/FTPS/SMB/NFS/WebDAV), colorer, multiarc, tmppanel, align, autowrap, drawline, editcase, SimpleIndent, Python (optional scripting support)
Used code from projects
- FAR for Windows
- Portable UnRAR
- 7z ANSI-C Decoder
- libwxgtk3.0-dev (or in Ubuntu 19.04+ - libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev)
- libssh-dev (needed for NetRocks/SFTP)
- libssl-dev (needed for NetRocks/FTPS)
- libsmbclient-dev (needed for NetRocks/SMB)
- libnfs-dev (needed for NetRocks/NFS)
- libneon27-dev (or later, needed for NetRocks/WebDAV)
- libarchive-dev (needed for better archives support in multiarc)
- libpcre2-dev (or in recent distributives - libpcre3-dev) (needed for custom archives support in multiarc)
- cmake ( >= 3.2.2 )
- git (needed for downloading source code)
Or simply on Debian/Ubuntu:
apt-get install gawk m4 libwxgtk3.0-dev libxerces-c-dev libspdlog-dev libuchardet-dev libssh-dev libssl-dev libsmbclient-dev libnfs-dev libneon27-dev libarchive-dev cmake g++ git
(if in Ubuntu 19.04+ or other that has missing libwxgtk3.0-dev - try libwxgtk3.0-gtk3-dev)
Clone and Build
git clone https://github.com/elfmz/far2l cd far2l mkdir build cd build
cmake -DUSEWX=yes -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .. make -j$(nproc --all)
or with ninja (you need ninja-build package installed)
cmake -DUSEWX=yes -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -G Ninja .. ninja -j$(nproc --all)
- Supported compiler:
AppleClang 8.0.0.xor newer. Check your version, and install/update XCode if necessary.
- If you don't have Homebrew stop by https://brew.sh/ for installation instructions.
One line OSX/MacOS install
- Install latest far2l git master via unofficial brew tap:
brew install --HEAD yurikoles/yurikoles/far2l
- Available options:
--email@example.com: build with python support
--with-wxmac: build with wxmac support
Hard way OSX/MacOS install - with building from sources:
sudo port install cmake gawk pkgconfig wxWidgets-3.2 libssh openssl xercesc3 libfmt spdlog
Libarchive in MacPorts may conflict with system version, when far2l is built with MacPorts' headers but links with system dylib. You may want to avoid installing it.
git clone https://github.com/elfmz/far2l cd far2l
- Install required packages:
mkdir build cd build cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DUSEWX=yes -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release .. make -j$(nproc --all)
or with ninja
mkdir build cd build cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local -DUSEWX=yes -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -G Ninja .. ninja -j$(nproc --all)
To build without WX backend (console version only): change -DUSEWX=yes to -DUSEWX=no To save space by exluding support of East Asian codepages set: add -DEACP=no
To build with Python plugin: add argument -DPYTHON=yes
Building on Gentoo (and derivatives)
For absolute minimum you need:
emerge -avn dev-libs/xerces-c app-i18n/uchardet dev-util/cmake dev-libs/spdlog
If you want to build far2l with wxGTK support also install it:
emerge -avn x11-libs/wxGTK
And if you also want Python plugin, consider installing virtualenv:
emerge -avn dev-python/virtualenv
Additionally, for NetRocks you will need:
emerge -avn net-libs/neon net-libs/libssh net-fs/libnfs net-fs/samba
After installing, follow Clone and Build section above.
Building DMG, DEB and TGZ packages
Please follow CMake related instructions from previous step to build the project, then run:
to generate the following packages (depending on architecture):
All packages can be found in
You can import the project into your favourite IDE like QtCreator, CodeLite, or any other, which supports cmake or which cmake is able to generate projects for.
- QtCreator: select "Open Project" and point QtCreator to the CMakeLists.txt in far2l root directory
- CodeLite: use this guide to setup a project: https://wiki.codelite.org/pmwiki.php/Main/TheCMakePlugin (to avoid polluting your source tree, don't create your workspace inside of the far2l directory)
Useful 3rd-party extras
- A collection of macros for far2l: https://github.com/corporateshark/far2l-macros
- Fork of Putty (Windows SSH client) with added far2l TTY extensions support (fluent keypresses, clipboard sharing etc): https://github.com/unxed/putty4far2l
- Tool to import color schemes from windows FAR manager 2 .reg format: https://github.com/unxed/far2l-deb/blob/master/far2l_import.pl
Notes on porting
I implemented/borrowed from WINE some commonly used WinAPI functions. They are all declared in WinPort/WinPort.h and corresponding defines can be found in WinPort/WinCompat.h (both are included by WinPort/windows.h). Note that this stuff may not be 1-to-1 to corresponding Win32 functionality also doesn't provide full-UNIX functionality, but it simplifies porting and can be considered as temporary scaffold.
However, only the main executable is linked statically to WinPort, although it also exports WinPort functionality, so plugins use it without the neccessity to bring their own copies of this code. This is the reason that each plugin's binary should not statically link to WinPort.
While FAR internally is UTF16 (because WinPort contains UTF16-related stuff), native Linux wchar_t size is 4 bytes (rather than 2 bytes) so potentially Linux FAR may be fully UTF32-capable console interaction in the future, but while it uses Win32-style UTF16 functions it does not. However, programmers need to be aware that wchar_t is not 2 bytes long anymore.
Inspect all printf format strings: unlike Windows, in Linux both wide and multibyte printf-like functions have the same multibyte and wide specifiers. This means that %s is always multibyte while %ls is always wide. So, any %s used in wide-printf-s or %ws used in any printf should be replaced with %ls.
Update from 27aug: now it's possible by defining WINPORT_DIRECT to avoid renaming used Windows API and also to avoid changing format strings as swprintf will be intercepted by a compatibility wrapper.
Plugins API based on FAR Manager v2 plus following changes:
Added following entries to FarStandardFunctions:
int Execute(const wchar_t *CmdStr, unsigned int ExecFlags); ...where ExecFlags - combination of values of EXECUTEFLAGS. Executes given command line, if EF_HIDEOUT and EF_NOWAIT are not specified then command will be executed on far2l virtual terminal.
int ExecuteLibrary(const wchar_t *Library, const wchar_t *Symbol, const wchar_t *CmdStr, unsigned int ExecFlags) Executes given shared library symbol in separate process (process creation behaviour is the same as for Execute). symbol function must be defined as: int 'Symbol'(int argc, char *argv)
void DisplayNotification(const wchar_t *action, const wchar_t *object); Shows (depending on settings - always or if far2l in background) system shell-wide notification with given title and text.
int DispatchInterThreadCalls(); far2l supports calling APIs from different threads by marshalling API calls from non-main threads into main one and dispatching them on main thread at certain known-safe points inside of dialog processing loops. DispatchInterThreadCalls() allows plugin to explicitely dispatch such calls and plugin must use it periodically in case it blocks main thread with some non-UI activity that may wait for other threads.
Added following commands into FILE_CONTROL_COMMANDS:
- FCTL_GETPANELPLUGINHANDLE Can be used to interract with plugin that renders other panel. hPlugin can be set to PANEL_ACTIVE or PANEL_PASSIVE. Param1 ignored. Param2 points to value of type HANDLE, call sets that value to handle of plugin that renders specified panel or INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE.
Added following plugin-exported functions:
- int MayExitFARW(); far2l asks plugin if it can exit now. If plugin has some background tasks pending it may block exiting of far2l, however it highly recommended to give user choice using UI prompt.
Added following dialog messages:
- DM_GETCOLOR - retrieves get current color attributes of selected dialog item
- DM_SETCOLOR - changes current color attributes of selected dialog item