EM List Tweets
EM List Tweets is a WordPress widget that is designed to work with the latest version of Twitter's API 1.1.
EM List Tweets is a simple way to display Tweets on your WordPress Web site.
You will need to create a Twitter Developer Account. This is how things work with Twitter API 1.1.
The display of the Tweet feed is ugly
The widget has no styles applied to it. This gives you the freedom to integrate it into your custom theme with your custom styles.
Why did a lot of the Twitter widgets for WordPress recently break?
Twitter is now using oAuth to validate users. You can no longer grab a simple JSON stream from any user and display its contents.
Why did they do that?
I can only assume that they have an evil corporate agenda (the real reason . . .)
What's wrong with Jetpack?
It doesn't let me do things on my development server without signing up for WordPress.com
Can I fork this, improve it, and send it back to you?
YES! The more eyeballs that are refactoring my code to make it more secure, terse, and speedy, the better.
Can I request feature updates for this Twitter?
Sure. I am attempting to keep this widget as simple as possible, but if the change will increase utility more than it will increase complexity, I would consider updating the code. Alternatively, you can fork it and submit a pull request.
This plugin does not have proper hashtag linking for my language
Let me know and I'll fix it for you. None of the plugins I have seen have good hashtag linking. Perhaps this can be the first.
- Twitter oAuth tokens that come with Twitter Developer Account
- WordPress 3.3+
The first thing to do is to download the widget and get it installed in your WordPress theme.
1) Download this widget as a .zip.
2) Upload .zip file to your plugins directory. You can find the file uploader under
Plugins => Add New in the WordPress sidebar menu.
3) Click on the
Plugin link in the WordPress sidebar. Find
EM List Tweets in the list of plugins and click the activate link. Now your widget is activated!
Getting oAuth Tokens
Now that your plugin in activated, you will have to set up a Twitter Developer Acount and generate some oAuth keys.
1) Sign up for a free (developer account) on Twitter.
2) Create a free app with your account. This is necessary to authenticate your to Twitter.
3) Create oAuth access tokens. This will give you a consumer key, consumer secret, access token, and access token secret. Copy these, you will need them later!
4) Change your requests from
read and write. First you will select the
5) Change your application type to
Read and Write.
Put the oAuth keys into the widget in the widget admin section, along with Twitter username.
1.1 (October 7, 2013)
- Much improved hashtag linking.
1.0.2 (September 22, 2013)
- Cleaned code formatting.
- Fixed some comments.
- Small grammar fixes.
- Improved hashtag linking.
1.0.1 (September 7, 2013)
- Added @replies and mentions functionality.
- Updated documentation.
- Fixed some code documentation.
1.0 (August 29, 2013)
- Plugin fully functional.
0.9.1 (August 29, 2013)
- Updated documentation.
- Code refactoring.
0.9 (August 27, 2013)
- Plugin fully functional, but still in beta testing phase.
0.1 (August 23, 2013)
- Initial commit.
Web site: www.elimcmakin.com
EM List Tweets Repository: https://github.com/elimc/em-list-tweets