Clone this wiki locally
Welcome to the OpenSubtitlesDownload.py wiki!
OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a small Linux software written in python, built to help you quickly find and download subtitles for your favorite videos. It can be used as a nautilus script, or as a regular application working under GNOME or KDE desktop environments. You can also use it in full CLI mode (Command Line Interface) on your NAS, Raspberry Pi or wherever you want to bundle it really!
The subtitles search is done by precisly identifying your video files by computing unique movie hash sums. This way, you have more chance to find the exact subtitles for your videos, avoiding synchronization problems between the subtitles and the soundtrack. But what if that doesn't work? Well, a search with the filename will be performed, but be aware: results are a bit more... unpredictable (don't worry, you will be warned! and you can even disable this feature if you want).
The subtitles search and download service is powered by opensubtitles.org. Big thanks to their hard work on this amazing project! Be sure to give them your support if you appreciate the service provided, they sure need donations for handling the ever growing hosting costs!
- Use a GNOME/GTK or KDE/Qt GUI depending on your favorite desktop environment.
- Or just use the CLI! Great for automation, and it works on Linux and Mac OS.
- Query subtitles in more than 60 different languages for documentaries, movies, TV shows and more...
- Query subtitles in multiple languages at once.
- Query subtitles for multiple video files at once.
- Detect valid video files (using mime types and file extensions).
- Detect correct video titles by computing unique movie hash sums in order to download the right subtitles for the right file!
- If the video detection fails, search by filename will be performed as backup method.
- Download subtitles automatically if only one is available, choose the one you want otherwise.
- Rename downloaded subtitles to match source video file. Possibility to append the language code to the file name (ex: movie_en.srt).
You can find every version and changelogs for OpenSubtitlesDownload on the releases page.
- python (version 2 or 3)
- wget & gzip
- zenity (for native GNOME desktop environment integration)
- kdialog (for native KDE desktop environment integration)
- basic unix tools: wget & gzip (subtitles download), ps & grep (GUI autodetection)
- Usage as a regular CLI script
- Usage as a nautilus script (preferred method)
- Installation under GNOME desktop environment
- Installation under KDE desktop environment
Adjust various settings
You can adjust several settings to make OpenSubtitlesDownload.py even better experience suiting your every needs! Learn more on the Adjust settings page.
Available settings includes:
- Language selection
- Full automatic mode
- GUI window size
- Additionnal columns for the subtitles selection window
- Language codes embeded into the subtitles files names
- And more!
Enjoy your subtitled video!
If multiple subtitles are available, just pick one from the list!
You can even enables more infos on the selection windows:
Use OpenSubtitlesDownload to search for subtitles in different languages simultaneously:
You can help us finding bugs, proposing new functionalities and more directly on this website! Click on the "New issue" button in the menu to do that.
You can browse the git repository here on GitHub, and submit patches and push requests!
OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a free software released under the GPL v3 license.