Clone this wiki locally
Welcome to the OpenSubtitlesDownload.py wiki!
OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a small Linux software written in python, built to help you quickly find and download subtitles for your favorite videos. It can be used as a nautilus script, or as a regular application working under GNOME or KDE desktop environments. You can also use it in full CLI (Command Line Interface) mode!
The subtitles search is done by precisely identifying your videos using a hash computed from your files, and not by using filenames. This way, you have more chance to get the exact subtitles corresponding to your videos, avoiding synchronization problems between the subtitles and the soundtrack.
The subtitles search and download service is powered by OpenSubtitles.org. Big thanks to their hard work on this amazing project! Be sure to give them your support if you appreciate the service provided, they sure need donations for handling ever growing hosting costs!
- Use a GNOME/GTK or KDE/Qt GUI depending on your desktop environment, or just use the CLI!
- Query subtitles in more than 60 different languages for documentaries, movies, TV shows and more...
- Query subtitles in multiple languages at once.
- Query subtitles for multiple video files at once.
- Detect valid video files (using mime types and file extensions).
- Detect correct video titles by computing hash file signatures, not by reading the filenames.
- Download subtitles automatically if only one is available, select the one you want otherwise.
- Rename downloaded subtitles to match source video file. Possibility to append the language code to the file name (ex: movie_en.srt).
You can find this script on the download page.
- python (version 2 or 3)
- wget & gzip
- zenity (for native GNOME desktop environment integration)
- kdialog (for native KDE desktop environment integration)
- basic unix tools: wget & gzip (subtitles download), ps & grep (gui autodetection)
- Usage as a regular CLI script
- Installation as a nautilus script (preferred method)
- Installation under GNOME desktop environment
- Installation under KDE desktop environment
Adjust various settings
You can adjust several settings to make OpenSubtitlesDownload.py even better experience suiting your every needs! Learn more on the Adjust settings page.
Available settings includes:
- Language selection
- Full automatic mode
- GUI window size
- Additionnal columns for the subtitles selection window
- Language codes embeded into the subtitles files names
You can help us finding bugs, proposing new functionalities and more directly on this website! Click on the "New issue" button in the menu to do that.
You can browse the git repository here on GitHub, and submit patches and push requests!
OpenSubtitlesDownload.py is a free software released under the GPL v3 license.
If multiple subtitles are available, just pick one from the list!
Enjoy your subtitled video!