Here’s basically how to set up your own merry textmas:
- Buy all the stuff.
- Set up your Twilio number
- Install the code on the raspberry pi and connect it to your wifi
- Mount it in the plastic box cut out a hole for the chargers, and for the four sockets and attaching the arduino and raspberry pi to the lid. Wire it all together patiently.
- Deploy to AppEngine.
- Make a sign (or alter the one below.)
- Put lights in your trees and plug it in!
What you’ll need:
We relied heavily on this awesome instructables to get started: http://www.instructables.com/id/Tweeting-Christmas-Tree/ But made some modifications. For the most part, it’s Arduino + Raspberry Pi + Twilio API + Google AppEngine
download the big PDF here: Poster.
Here are the ingredients:
The code (you're here!) https://github.com/emilyville/textmas
The blinky bits
- SeedStudio Relay Shield
- Arduino Uno
- Raspberry Pi
- Usb WiFi adapter (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CLMJLU/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00)
- SD card (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JRB0TC/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00)
The magic bits
- GitHub (http://www.github.com)
- Twilio (http://www.twilio.com)
- Google AppEngine (https://developers.google.com/appengine/)
The connectors and containers
- 4 sockets and an outlet cover plate
- 12 awg stranded wire, about 12 feet
- 9v power supply (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XZSZWO/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00)
- Lamp cord
- Wire nut (large enough to hold five 12 awg wires)
- 12 4-40 nuts
- 12 4-40 x 1/2"
- plastic enclosure (we used a plastic shoe box)
- Usb wall charger (>650mA)
- Usb to micro usb cable
- Usb A to B cable (http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-28101-Cable-Black/dp/B000FW60E8/ref=sr_1_21?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1352773472&sr=1-21&keywords=usb+cable+a+to+b)
And the cheer!
- Outdoor holiday LED string lights
4 colors: white, yellow, blue, and red.
- zip ties
- a ladder
- a tree or something else to decorate.
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/deed.en_US (http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-sa/3.0/88x31.png "Creative Commons License") This work is licensed under a href="http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/deed.en_US